mtbr member
    May 2011

Vintage Canondale Rebuild

Hi All,

I recently inherited a either late 80's or early 90's canondale mountain bike from my dad and am planning on getting it back on the trail. I've been doing a bit of easy trail riding with my cross bike but can see how the MTB would be a better option. Does anyone know what this bike is? I couldn't find any markings on the frame to help me find out what year/model it is.

Can I get it running for a reasonable amount of money? Is it worth it?

I spent some time yesterday disassembling, cleaning and reassembling it. At this point I have the original rear suntour XC rear delrailer (not pictured) and the original suntour thumbies minus some of their internal parts. My dad has replaced the rear gearset with a 7-speed set up from a 5 speed, and has replaced the cranks with a 3-speed up from a 2-speed.

You can see the rest of the pics here: Canondale Rebuild Gallery

James

Former Bike Wrench
    Looks like a 1986 SM500
    http://sanaandterry.com/cannondale/year/1986/1986.pdf

Should post this in the Vintage Forum

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freedj
    Can I get it running for a reasonable amount of money? Is it worth it?
    It depends on what you mean by "get it running." It doesn't look to bad. Seems like all you need to do is clean it up and maybe get some new cables and brake pads. It sounds like you may need shifters also? Shouldn't cost too much.

But if you are looking to modernize it with suspension etc. that would be expensive.

Only you can decide if it is worth fixing up. As with most things, you will never get back the money you put into it. But if you have fun fixing it up and you enjoy riding it, that is all that matters.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Looks like a 1986 SM500
    http://sanaandterry.com/cannondale/year/1986/1986.pdf

Should post this in the Vintage Forum
    1986 is probably correct. U-brakes and Roller-Cam brakes were pretty much extinct by 1989. They were a fad for just a couple of years. Of the 2, Roller-Cam brakes had great modulation. Cantilevers and V-Brakes couldn't come close in the modulation department IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I stopped by my dad's house today and he gave me the original manual and brochure. It is in fact a 1986 SM500. I am looking forward to riding it soon.

At this point i've got the chainline back together and locked down to 1 speed as the thumbies are missing the black fiber washers that make them be friction shifters as well as the screws and washers that go through from the top. I need to stop by the LBS and pickup a foot of brake housing for the front brake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If it's a good bike shop i'd let them tune it up and take care of the cables and brake pads. They probably even have some thumbies laying around from the early 90's if they've been in business that long.

I wouldn't put more than tires and cables on that old of an entry level bike. It's also a hybrid/cruiser, not a mtb. Even for the era it's not aggressive. Should serve you well as a path bike.