mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Vassago Bandersnatch vs. Niner M.C.R.

im interested in a new geared steel 29er. I have never ridden steel before but it sounds like something i would like. im 6'3" hovering around 200lbs and im just wondering what frame would suit me best.

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What's your budget?

Bandersnatch- 4130 chromo gives a good, compliant ride; $479 for frame

MCR- Reynold 853 is considered a step up from 4130, I think because it can be drawn out to form thinner tubes and is more compliant; $750-800 for frame.

The geometry concepts of the two bikes are different, so you will want to keep that in mind. I have ridden bikes with a 4130 frame and I liked them...in fact I'm patiently waiting on my 2010 Bandersnatch frame right now. I never have ridden Reynolds 853, so I can't say whether or not its worth the extra $300.

On the plus side you are choosing between two very popular and well-regarded frames from respectable companies, so you probably can't go wrong.

Former Bike Wrench
    The big difference between the Bandersnatch and the MCR will be weight. 4130 CroMoly requires thicker walled tubing especially at the butts (end of the tubes) because the heat of the welding weakens the tubing. Reynolds 853 on the other hand is "air hardened" which means that heat actually increases the strength. So thinner walled tubing can be used throughout a tube. A 18" Bandersnatch weighs 4.9lbs, a 19" MCR weighs 4.35lbs...you decide if that's worth $300

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for your input. The price doesn't really matter to me i just want the better bike. Does the lighter weight of the MCR compromise its integrity at all compared to the bandersnatch?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by regnier
    Thanks for your input. The price doesn't really matter to me i just want the better bike. Does the lighter weight of the MCR compromise its integrity at all compared to the bandersnatch?
    Not at all, there are stupid light steel frames but the MCR is not in that group. If time is not of the essence, you may check out Curtlo. You can get a handcrafted made in the USA (using US made True Temper OX Platinum which is equal to Reynolds 853) for $825. The Rub...its usually about a six month wait.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I wish i had more time to wait for a Curtlo. But Im selling my only geared bike and i need gears for a race in about a month. The geometry on the MCR is closer to what i am looking for than that of the Bandersnatch and i lighter more compliant frame would be a plus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What about the Salsa El Mariachi? How does that compare to the Niner and the Bander?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can't go wrong with either but I think the extra $300 will be better served on a wheelset or something similar.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by regnier
    What about the Salsa El Mariachi? How does that compare to the Niner and the Bander?
    Good solid frame that's a wee bit on the portly side (5lbs for the 18"...including the EBB). Just depends on what you like...I'd probably take a Vassago before this frame myself since I have no use for a EBB so it'd be one more thing to fail or creak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ill rule out the mariachi seeing as how i already have a salsa selma single speed and i really have no use for the EBB. On the subject of components I already have a bontrager RXL scandium wheelset, X0 components, Fox F29 RLC 80mm travel fork and a ridged carbon Origin 8 fork if im feeling ridged, set aside for this build so would the niner frame make a bit more sense seeing as how it is a lighter more "high tech" frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Can't go wrong with either but I think the extra $300 will be better served on a wheelset or something similar.
    This is a timely thread for me as I'm starting my research for a steel 29-er as well. Probably rigid fork. 1x9 gearing. I think the SS will limit where/how I can ride too much. I ride to the trail head and many of our trails have lots of technical elevation changes.

So is it safe to assume both companies (Niner obviously, but Vassago and even On-One) have really done their homework on building a great 29-er frame? vs say just making more clearance for the larger wheels and a few tweaks to offset the handling?

Is the biggest difference the weight? Do they have similar feel? My problem is that there are no examples that I could possibly take a test ride on. So it'll be a leap of faith.

Looking at the On-One website, they are all sold out of the slot-drop Inbreds (is this typical??? I just have to wait till the winter for more stock???). And their non-slot Inbred looks like it doesn't have a replaceable derailuer hanger? Is this ok?

Also, on rigid forks, is the carbon forks worth double the price of the steel?

mtbr member
    good thread.. I basically asked a similar question on the 29er board.... Does is the bandersnatch really that much less compliant... man I rode an MCR and it was amazing on downhills.. wondering how close the snatch come to that...

Master of Sparks
    What about the Gunnar Rock hound vs the Indy Fab 29er ?