mtbr member

Used 2008 Specialized Sirrus vs. new 2009 Diamondback Insight 2?

Used 2008 Specialized Sirrus vs. new 2009 Diamondback Insight 2?

Used 2008 Specialized Sirrus (base model): ($300)
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...rrus&Type=bike

New 2009 Diamondback Insight 2: ($420)
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ht+2&Type=bike

The Sirrus is on CL, and I'm meeting the guy in a Home Depot parking lot tonight to take a look (sketchy?). The bike pic looks decent - maybe not much wear and tear.

The Insight 2 is available online (shipping/tax included), so I'd get it sight-unseen. I can do the final assembly and fitting. I saw an Insight 2 in a store that wasn't my size. Seemed a decent weight (maybe 23-26lbs?) and looks good. Sure would be nice to have a new bike!

I usually MTB but am looking for a fitness bike that is enjoyable to ride - more interested in speed on relatively brief rides than comfort on paved bike paths. What do you think? Thanks!
    Last edited by hanshananigan; 09-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    If you're looking for speed, go with the Sirrus. It's essentially a road bike with flat handlebards. The tires are 700x28 as opposed to the 700x32 of the Diamondback. You might even be able to pick up a new 2008 or 2009 Sirrus from a dealer for a great closeout deal since the 2010s are coming in now. Of course, fit will be most important, either way, but the Sirrus is probably better for what you're specifically looking for.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Thanks! I did indeed buy the Sirrus, and had a great ride on Tuesday! Good call on the tire sizes - I didn't catch that. The 2008 I bought seems to be spec'ed between the 2009 base Sirrus and the Sirrus Sport, and I prolly couldn't afford the Sport, even on closeout. It's about 24.7lbs which I guess is heavy by road bike standards, but I'll work on removing weight from my fat arse before considering a carbon fork or new wheels. I'm going to get some new grips (prolly Ergon GP2) and might get a stem with a slightly higher rise, but otherwise, I am very happy with this ride!
    Hi!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that you ended up with the Sirrus. It's a great bike. I have the 2009 Sport model, and couldn't be happier with it. Now I just need to work on getting to ride it more often. The grips on it are pretty crappy, but some nice lock-on Ergon grips would be great. Happy riding!
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Thanks - you too!
    Hi!