Thread: Upgrading a Fat

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Upgrading a Fat

I've been out of the game for a long time (15 years), and I'm just getting back into riding. I still have my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance, which I rode hard for several years. The bike is fully rigid and still has most of the circa 1990s components. Grip Shift, XT derailleurs, Ritchey Pro Logic cranks and pedals, Nuke Proof handlebar, Zoom Original threaded stem, Onza cantilever brakes, etc. I have replaced the tires, grips and had to replace the rear brakes because they broke during a tune up at the shop. My question is that now being 15 years older and somewhat out of shape, I've been thinking of the possibility of putting a suspension fork on. I know the bike wasn't built for that and the great geometry would be altered. Would the benefits of suspension outweigh the altered geometry. Obviously, I would have to replace the headset and stem. Does anyone still make 1-inch headsets? Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    I would repost this in the Vintage Retro & Classic forum.

Fats are highly sought after classics - if you don't want to preserve it in it's original form, you might be better off selling it and getting a modern bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCity1
    I've been out of the game for a long time (15 years), and I'm just getting back into riding. I still have my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance, which I rode hard for several years. The bike is fully rigid and still has most of the circa 1990s components. Grip Shift, XT derailleurs, Ritchey Pro Logic cranks and pedals, Nuke Proof handlebar, Zoom Original threaded stem, Onza cantilever brakes, etc. I have replaced the tires, grips and had to replace the rear brakes because they broke during a tune up at the shop. My question is that now being 15 years older and somewhat out of shape, I've been thinking of the possibility of putting a suspension fork on. I know the bike wasn't built for that and the great geometry would be altered. Would the benefits of suspension outweigh the altered geometry. Obviously, I would have to replace the headset and stem. Does anyone still make 1-inch headsets? Thanks for any feedback.
    Yes, you can still buy 1 inch headsets and they are plentiful as they are popular to the fixed/track bikes .

However there are no more new 1 inch steerer suspension forks for your bike in the correct length. I bought a brand new RS Judy 1 inch steerer 3 years ago still it was a bit longer than my stock Logic fork. Did it affect the geo? I don't use it for hard or racy riding and wasn't that much different. Maybe it relaxed the head angle by .05 deg. as it wasn't that much far off in length.
    You might be able to find from Ebay used 1 inch steerer suspension forks but parts for these extinct forks will be difficult to find and performance-wise, not even 1/3 of newer technology.

mtbr member
    RST still has three different 1" forks. As mentioned Rock Shox made the Judy and SID in one inch. I am not too sure about the old geometries compared to the newer bikes. I had an old bike like that that on the last time I went over the bars I ended up in the hospital for three days. I never rode the bike after that and got a new bike instead.

If I had the money and I was thinking about getting back into biking I might take a look at the Specialized Epic, Stumpjumper, Giant Anthem or Trance or Trek Fuels all full suspension bikes. Cant afford new then look at the same bikes 2004 or newer. Use the Fat Chance for riding down to the coffee shop or take it to Black Rock next year.

Heres the link to the suspension fork-dont hurt yourself..
    http://www.amazon.com/Capa-T5-Suspen...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2