Thread: upgrade v new

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

upgrade v new

Hi

Sorry it's the normal upgrade v new question....

I've a 94 DiamondBack Ascent frame. It's old! Back in the day it came complete with full STX. I replaced all that with a full set of XT in 98, V brakes, got some 96 Rockshox Dukes XC, Shimano M647 pedals, decent saddle etc etc. In fact the only thing that's original is the frame.

Now the frame fits - i love it. I can throw anything at it and it takes it, but I feel the need to upgrade bits...

do I buy a new bike - still hardtail - or should i just upgrade bits that need it (We're talking wheels/drivetrain/stem etc). The new bike'll be more expensive, but it'll all be new. The DB frame seems okay - no rust, no dents etc - but you never really know on something that old.

I'm 6'1" and 178lbs if that helps. I do mostly XC - long hills about 20%, then plateaux, then long descents. I've found a bike I like - full SRAM x9 throughout, Juicy 5 Hydraulic discs and Reba race forks, but then rode the old one last night and started wondering...

Bike styles have changed over time, and frame materials have come and gone, but the DB lives on...
    Last edited by petsco; 08-28-2009 at 08:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Unless you are a very smart shopper it is almost always more cost effective to buy a new bike than to upgrade. Another issue is the geometry of your frame. Being built in 1994, the geometry is probably designed around a 60mm fork. You could probably go to a 80mm fork without messing things up. But keep in mind it will feel a lot different i.e. the botom bracket will be higher and it will steer slower due to a slacker head angle. Also you aren't going to able to use discs in the rear. V-brakes can be pretty good when it is dry, but discs are much better in muddy, dusty and wet conditions. Additionally in the fall you will not have all the leaves getting stuck in the brakes, I used to hate that when I had V brakes.

Basically to sum it up, unless you absolutely love your fame and can't part with it then it makes more sense to buy a new bike.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd keep the old one the way it is and use it for guests/family members who come to visit and buy a new one.Upraditis is a disease that can get out of control easily,believe me,I and others know.