mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade Opinions

Hey everyone! I'm new to MTBR so... hello.

I recently purchased a 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.5 15" 29er Hardtail complete bike from my LBS. I absolutely love the bike - it's my first hardtail since I was kid (when I got into mountain biking a few years ago I was riding a Weyless FS downhill bike until I realized how bad it was slowing me down in the climbs). I know, Fuji isn't the name you think of when you think of a quality bike... but I like it, and for $1100 I'm happy. Also, it's my first bike with 29" wheels and I absolutely LOVE that. So, it came specc'd out with some nice stuff like a Shimano XT drivetrain, Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, etc. but also some stuff I'm iffy about.. such as the Manitou fork and Vera Tera wheels.

I'm thinking about doing some weight saving/performance increasing upgrades in the near future. The Manitou fork is decent, but it's coil spring and HEAVY as hell. Also, the Vera wheels seem okay but they also seem heavy and I've been wanting to get back to tubeless like I had on my Weyless (was running Mavic's on it, those were tough but super heavy, I just love the handling characteristics of tubeless).

I live in Missouri (St. Louis area) and the trails I ride are a good mix of climb and descend, with lots of rock gardens and plenty of flowy smooth singletrack as well. We pretty much have a good mix of everything here, and I'm not bottoming out the Manitou, so I don't necessarily think I need a 120mm fork (which according to Fuji, would give the frame "slacker" geometry).

So - opinions on what should be done next? Sorry for the long post - I'm kinda new to the whole forum scene.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrade Opinions-fuji-tahoe.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Also, I'm a fit but heavy rider (I sit right between 195-205lbs, my weight fluctuates week by week) so I know that affects wheel choices..