mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Unusual body geometry

hi guys,

I wonder if anybody can offer some advice on the best way to handle my peculiar body geometry!

I am 5'11", 130lbs, female, but most of that height is leg. I wear pants with a 36" inseam, longer than most 6'+ guys I know! Coupled with that is a short torso with short arms. By now you must be thinking wow, what kind of freak is she?! I can assure you it doesn't look as weird as it sounds, but always makes for interestingness where sports are concerned. Here is my problem. I ride a medium Stumpy, deliberately went for the mens version and not the Safire because of my height.

I find that my seatpost is almost maxed out, but I couldn't reach the handlebars with stock stem! Have since put on a 50mm stem and it rides comfortably but I have problems getting my weight back on descents.

Question 1: have I gotten around this problem the best I can in view of my unusual build or are there further changes I could make to the setup to be more comfortable?

Question 2: next time should I go for a Safire in a large to take advantage of the smaller cockpit or will my knees be hitting the handlebars?!

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Interestingly, I have a similar anatomy to you (although my arms are long also). I've found that a higher handlebar height allows me to get back over the saddle easier on steep descents.

Try adding a spacer or two beneath your stem (if you're able) or switching to a riser bar if your current bar is flat.

As for question #2, I can't speak intelligently without actually seeing you. A professional bike fit might be in order.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.