mtbr member

Trying to decide on new frame for a second bike

I need some suggestions on a xc frame for a second bike build. I have been accumulating parts over time and I want to build a second bike I have a fs and I would like to build a ht. Any suggestions on a good frame for a few hundred Euros???

Apr 2007
    Steel, aluminum? 26 or 29er?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How bout one those ebay carbon frames? Lot's of info in a General Discussion thread.

mtbr member
    As far as steel or aluminum I don't know I have no problems trying steel and the bike is going to be 26. As far as the ebay frames go we have a store that has one built up with a name (hawk) but exactly the same frame I was thinking about it. The only problem with the carbon frame from China is my trails have alot of small jumps and if I break it I am out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A lot of people I know have built a steel 29 rigid
    single speed. For myself I like to have a short and
    long travel FS - XC bike.

Best, John

mtbr member
    The Surly Troll is a nice do all frame set that rides smooth and comfortable. It has a steel frame and fork with just the ability to take just about any combination of hub/brake/fender/rack/tire (all at once too) you could ever want.

The tire clearance is insane, I'm running a 3" wide tire up front and a 2.7" in the back, just because i can. The only potential downside is that it's bright orange but that ensures I don't get shot at next hunting season.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i don't care much about the weight. steel feels great.