mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Trying to decide between Trek 4300 & IBEX Alpine 450

I am trying to decide which bike to buy for a beginner. currently I am trying to decide between the Trek 4300 which is $429 for the one with disc brakes and the IBEX 450 is $469. I will be using it for casual riding with some trail riding but I am a total beginner at this sport and want to make sure I get a bike that has good enough components so that I can do some real trail riding but I dont need a competition level bike. Also I am not sure how hard it is to assemble the IBEX since it doesnt come fully assembled. thanks for any info to help out in my decision.

mtbr member
    My thoughts on Ibex, before this turns into the usual flamefest.

The Ibex bikes are a great value because you don't have to pay for bike shop profit. You get a similar bike for less money, or a better bike for the same money.

But if you want and/or need bike shop support, you might be better off getting the Trek.

The bikes are not hard to assemble, but little things will go wrong right away, with the shifting being the first. You can get help online and do it yourself.

The advantage with a bike shop brand is they will give you a free tuneup, and maybe more.

If you value support after the purchase, the Trek might be best.

If you value you dollars more, and think you can wrench on your own bike, the Ibex might be best.

I have purchased 3 Ibex entry level bikes for friends and family. They are very decent bikes.

But, if you like the Trek, and like the bike shop, you can't go wrong there, either.

Trek up your life
    I would go with the Trek 4300. I myself own a Trek 3700 and I completely love it. Having the free tune ups also help. If you are total new person to biking then you might probably need those tune ups. After you ride for awhile you will learn about the different components and how to adjust them properly yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ibex is a better spec'd bike

But's that's only if you have the tools and ability to put it together. If you have some tools and are at all mechanically inclined then I'd say buy the Ibex, if not then get the Trek.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I think Laurenlex summed everything up pretty well. I have one more thing to add: fit.

The Trek you can go ride, even if around the parking lot, and have at least a quasi-experienced help with fitting (depending on the bike shop the level of expertise varies). The Ibex, I'm assuming, you cannot.

After you buy a few bikes you figure out what you like, what fits, what works and can go on measurements (or shell out the $$ to "fix" a fit on a bike that isn't quite right). This is much harder when you don't have that multiple bike experience.

Perhaps the geometries are similar enough between the two bikes that it won't matter, but something to consider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks for all the help. I think I am going to go with the trek and after I get some experience maybe look at a higher level ibex for my next bike when I have more experience with them. I figure I can start with the 4300 and maybe upgrade a part or two while I am learning then decide if I am serious enough to buy a better bike later.

ride hard take risks
    Whether you go Trek or Ibex you should have some basic knowledge on how a bike works & how to do any repairs while on the trail if needed.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot