Red Rider

Trying to assist friend on 1st time MTB purchase

Hello all,

From my title, you probably already know the drill. Here are the details and criteria on my friend.

1. It's been a few years since I've seen him but I remember him being 5'10".

2. 300 lbs

3. $800 budget.

We used to BMX in our high school days (we're both 39). He was a fairly aggressive and daring rider. It's been a long time since he's been on a bike but he's fairly active, is into martial arts and snowboards occassionally. He's interested in getting into the sport and part of his concern about purchasing a bike is if he should spend more and jump in head first or ease himself in and buy a nicer bike/upgrade as he gets more into it (considering he likes it that much).

I live in New York and he lives in Maryland. I am going to take a trip down to help him make a decision on a bike (and of course, help him break it in) and would like to know of a few good shops in the Rockville/Beltsville area. I am considering Performance Bicycle because of the 10% kickback for extras like a helmet, gloves & such plus from what I see online, there are a few solid choices in the $800 price point. I can probably get him to even spend $900 if it's worth it. REI was also another choice. I even considered what bikesdirect.com had to offer. Although he wouldn't have a bike instantly, the parts spec on their bikes is pretty good and he could always upgrade the frame later.

Full suspension would be nice but I don't know if the terrain in MD warrants it. I thought he would appreciate the ride better because he's a big guy but I also was leaning toward suggesting a 29er for lighter weight, faster ride and possibly a slightly better component spec. Plus, he could get a good workout on the local streets commuting on the 29er since he is trying to lose some weight.

So with all that's been said, I hope you guys can offer some insight. I would definitely like some responses from my clydesdale crew.

Oh, and while you're at it, toss in a few local trail suggestions. Stuff that's challenging for a vet like me but that will give my buddy a moderate intro and show him what's to come as he progresses.
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]RIDE OR DIE...

Dirt Deviant
    Kona hoss would prolly be the best out of the box built bike for a clyde.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I think you might be able to get a Rockhopper 29 for right about your budget.

It's about showing up.

At 300 pounds he is going to break stuff.

That is going to have to be figured into the budget. Seat posts, seat rails, rims, shocks, even bars, are all very vulnerable.

A first bike simply needs to be reliable and fit well. It is used to learn about the sport. At the end of it's usefulness to this rider it has a resale value. The definition of the next bike usually benefits from the experience of the first bike, far more than recommendations from others.
    The advantages of FS over HT are oversold for new riders but that doesn't stop shops from pressing them on you.. Further the real advantages which do exist will not show up at his pricepoint. I believe that Disc Brakes would be critical for a rider of this size. The Rockhopper SL, a high-quality entry level bike with Disc brakes is $1100, though.

Red Rider

My buddy bought a bike...

My buddy bypassed the hardtail option and pulled the trigger on a 2010 Trek Fuel Ex 7. Appreciate the responses guys. Now I got get him out riding.
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]RIDE OR DIE...