mtbr member
    May 2011

Trouble Deciding - Steel Hardtail

Hello everyone, first post and trying to decide what to do about my steel hardtail situation. I have a brand new RM Blizzard frame laying around, but no fork to fit it(long story). I'm thinking of selling it off in favor of another steel hardtail frame that I can use my 2005 Reba Team on.

1) My budget for a frame is roughly 450 tops, but I'd be happy to spend less
    2) My riding style is generally low/moderate impact trail riding, both up and down. Very few drops or jumps. I ride on pavement sometimes as well for transportation.
    3) I'm an 853 fanboy, but understand the limited benefits of material alone and will consider other steels
    4) I'm 6'2", 185lbs
    5) The fork going on it will be a 100mm '05 Reba Team
    6) I'm not super into weight, but don't want something where weight savings was downright ignored.

I like the Blizzard, but to use it I'm going to likely have to shell out the cash for a new fork since most used forks are cut too short for a 175mm headtube. That's always an option, but I can do the whole thing a whole lot cheaper if I don't have to buy a new fork.

I've always kind of considered Rocky Mountain to be the bees knees in terms of steel hardtails, so I'm curious as to how the following frames/manufacturers compare to each other and to the RM:

Some frames I've been considering:

1) 2009 Orange Prestige - $270
    2) 2010 Merlin/Rock Lobster Team TIG 853 - $450
    3) 2010 Orange P7(Can support a 100mm fork with the option of longer travel in the future) - $450
    4)?????? Suggestions welcome. I'm not really into Surly, On One, or Soma per say.

I'm worried the Prestige might not be robust enough for a 185 pound rider, the Rock Lobster seems to have some minor build quality issues, and the P7 seems to be a touch heavy and I'm worried about whether or not the geometry is really right for a 100mm fork.

Anyways, just trying to talk it out. Thanks in advance!

I should be studying...
    I don't have much experience in these matters, but I will agree that the RM steel frames are great, especially the blizzard. I was riding one a few years ago. I just don't think you're going to get anywhere near the same ride quality of the P7 as you would with the Blizzard.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

T.W.O
    Why are you not into Surly and On-One? They are good companies.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Be patient and find a fork that fits your Rocky frame. My HT on my custom 26er is 185 mm so I know your dilemma.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    check out evil sovereign and transition transam. whats another $100?

mtbr member
    seems getting a new fork is just as costly as new frame? why not just stick with the awesomeness of RM Blizzard?