DMR EXALT
    COTIC BFe
    .243 RACING
    NS CORE
    SANTA CRUZ CHAMELEON
    DEVINCI HUCKER
    COVE STIFFEE
    TRANSITION BANK

With such a large list and literally doing a full days worth of research, countless hours of reading, comparing & contrasting, I do not have the ability to edge out a decision (my brain has gone 'kaput'). So I will put a bit of personal information here and hopefully have the community guide me to a consensus.

I am looking really for a do-it-all hardcore hardtail, can take jumps, decent commuter with the ability to go off-road take singletracks with some light freeride/downhill terrain. I used to own a CX bike but I am moving to Utah so I decided to start fresh. I can ride relatively far distances with no problems, and that's fine but I've decided to test my limits and try to learn & polish up on my techniques regarding bunnyhops, wheelies etc. I know that they are easier to attempt on hardtails and specifically some of the ones above are ideal but making a decision such as this has been alot harder than expected. I will be building my bike or at least, attempting to, so I am trying to find the best frame for the money. My job in Utah will be about an hours worth of daily commuting (one way) each day and though I like the comfort of a CX I don't mind sacrificing that if I can have a little play time to substitute. As you know Utah does see the better side of winters but if I slap on a decent pair of snow tires I should be fine. Probably will be using a single chain ring in the front with a 9 speed in the rear. Also when riding a bike of this variant do you usually run a short cage derailler?

I am about 5'7" 135-138lbs 30" inseam

I am open to other frame suggestions. Please, help me.

Apr 2007
    If I were to get a do-it-all 26" bike, I'd seriously look at a Salsa Ala Carte. The new ones are pretty sweet. Not sure where in Utah you'll be moving to, but if it's close to downtown, check out Cyclesmith. One dude there just built up an Ala Carte. I've got a Salsa El Mariachi myself (29er version of Ala Carte) and it's a sweet bike. If I had to choose one bike in my stable, it would be this one. Or, On One 456/Summer would be a cheaper option (less than $300 from On One).

Mine's set up single speed, but if you go 1x9, short or med cage rear der. should be ok (depending on your chain ring and cog sizes).

Commuting wise, you really should think about getting a roadie. Road riding here is awesome. Too good to waste on a fat and slow mountain bike.