Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton Bikes View Post

.......... a snow bike frame,.........., and so on

Hope the last E-mail made sense. Trying not to send too many and clog up your inbox
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

From Russia with luv!
    Hi everybody!

I am driving to Finland in a couple of hours. Gotta stamp my visa and return to Russia.
    We shall leave the car on the Russian side and cycle to Finland and will ride there during weekend and then come back to Moscow.

If there's anyone living near Imatra or Lapeenranta and want to join us a for a drink - let me know. Unfortunately I won't have a Triton with me...because I don't have a touring Triton and this sucks. Those Tritons are expensive

I was going to take dad's, but then it would be a pain to cycle 100km on it

Anyway, here is some media I took with my wife's small Sony camera. Oh boy, I miss my nice big Canon and hope I can fix it soon.

We made a superlight rack.
    It wasn't designed to take heavy stuff. And it's really light.
    We will be making tooling and fixtures for racks. Until then I will not be accepting orders of racks.

Roadie and 28-29" hybrid frame with a rack

So a batch of stars arrived and our engineer designed simple tool that lets us match head badge with the headtube

Put it under press. Done.

29er frame being built for a Swiss customer

Fixed gear frame rear triangle mitered. Waiting for the drawing of rear part

Head badges!

Made new frame holder for alignment checks

Night at Triton Bikes ghetto shop

Installed oooold bench grinder made in 50s in USSR. Very quiet and powerful. Lathe operator loves it.

Here is a roadie frame we have just finished.
    51cm Centre to Top.
    Paragon dropouts with replaceable hanger.

The weight is quite nice - 1387 grams

LIGHT

Head badge mounted!
    Though it's a nice evolution from blasted or vinyl badge, we are still searching for the best bolt solution. These bolts are 2mm "+", stainless steel. I was absolutely unable to find anything else of this tiny size here in Russia.
    A crazy idea got to me just now: we should remove bolts from the old hard drives. They are nice torx bolts. Will test out this solution haha
    We can virtually make alien bolts. But not so tiny

Light!

More to follow!

Thanks,

Dmitry
    TritonBikes.com

Titanium frames and components handbuilt in Russia

mtbr member
    Oooops a gas gas .... jeje

Have a good trip dmitry

From Russia with luv!
    Quote Originally Posted by jallll View Post
    Oooops a gas gas .... jeje

Have a good trip dmitry
    Yup! Old Spanish trials motorbike.
    Made in 1999. Quite destroyed by the previous owner. I am fixing it between my computer/workshop session to relax. Tried riding it here in industrial area, crazy
    TritonBikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    A crazy idea got to me just now: we should remove bolts from the old hard drives. They are nice torx bolts. Will test out this solution haha
    ha ha ha ... I have an old hard drive.
    I can not wait.
    Last edited by wapid; 10-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice looking frames Dmitry! I hope you get your Canon back up and running soon. You take such nice photos with it.

Talking about road bikes, mine should be built up on Tuesday. Here's a mock up of my frame which just arrived. Truly a work of art. All the guys at my lbs want a Triton now. ;-)

You could have used this bike on your trip Dmitry!

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I'll make sure to add a few better ones once I have her all built up.

Attachment 731521

Attachment 731522
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Triton Bikes. Titanium frames handmade in Russia. Anyone? :)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350586567.591573.jpg  

Triton Bikes. Titanium frames handmade in Russia. Anyone? :)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350586637.397244.jpg  

"Boom"........"Regard me".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Man that's nice!! I don't know if I can wait 7-8 months to get mine. It must feel like forever!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, the wait is a tough one to swallow but his turn around times are only going to get faster as he is more settled at his new facility.

I just read on another thread that a guy waited 18 months for his Blacksheep custom frame. Really not sure how a guy can stay in business with turnaround times like that. Nice product but there's certainly a point you have to ask yourself if it's worth your time.

Keep riding your other bike(s) until your Triton shows up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That roadie looks NICE. Do yourself a favor and get a Ti seatpost...

mtbr member
    Want to secure a place in line...a deposit of 20 dollars locks you in.
    Current wait list time is 78 months to get started on your frame order.
    Groovy Cycleworks great bikes but it's a one man show. Many "one man" bike builders have very long wait times.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Engin Cycles now are making Ti bikes. 300.00 bucks gets you in line, 3800 for frame and year wait.
    Drew makes some of the best looking bikes I have ever seen, local to me also. Dream on!!

From Russia with luv!

TritonBikes.com

JB

Frame Mods

Hey Dmitry, you haven't forgotton about my bike have you? You remember this one for the quick stiffener mods?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Triton Bikes. Titanium frames handmade in Russia. Anyone? :)-img_3254.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Wow! >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Hey Dmitry, you haven't forgotton about my bike have you? You remember this one for the quick stiffener mods?
    You sent your frame back and no updates? Man, with such a F-up by Triton I thought you would be a high priority customer. Lets see and wait what clever excuse is given as a response.... not cool. Triton seems to be growing too fast.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by pulga View Post
    You sent your frame back and no updates? Man, with such a F-up by Triton I thought you would be a high priority customer. Lets see and wait what clever excuse is given as a response.... not cool. Triton seems to be growing too fast.
    Or Triton seems to have more than one customer.

Magura

From Russia with luv!
    pulga, you may be right.
    My partner says we are growing too slow.

Spending days and days at the workshop optimizing the production, taking part in creating new tools. Every day we make a new tool (will share photos later on).
    I look at the calendar and can see days passing at the speed of light. And I get shocked when I see myself in a mirror every couple of weeks - I see an ape with a large beard.

I wrote an email to Nevada 29er, we had agreed on the mods. They should help solve this his issue.
    TritonBikes.com

DIY all the way
    I get shocked when I see myself in a mirror every couple of weeks - I see an ape with a large beard.

So what you really need, is a longer wire for the shaver

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    I just read on another thread that a guy waited 18 months for his Blacksheep custom frame. Really not sure how a guy can stay in business with turnaround times like that.
    It's a pitfall of custom building frames. With most being one or two man operations volume is impossible, even 'big' custom builders like Nicolai have wait times.

They stay in business because they make things that the big brands won't or can't and they do it to a high standard, people will wait and they will pay for something if the quality is there.

mtbr member
    Fix the Spade,

I agree, if the quality is there and the final product is as advertised I can see it being worth the wait. I think one of the problems these smaller businesses like, Triton, Blacksheep, etc have is the front office. It's a full time job running the books and keeping in contact with the customer. I was close to dropping the coin on a HT Blacksheep but the lack of correspondence turned me off. Same with Jeronimo.
    Triton may not have the "finish" or polish like some of the high end companies but the customer service is great. Dmitry responds within a few days and tries to work with you. Obviously his product is in a different category than say a Moots in quality and finish but at his price point you get a solid product that should last you years and hopefully give you that magical Ti ride. In my case I'm still waiting on finishing up the build to get that first test ride under my belt. I feel for Nevada, the last thing you want to do after receiving your frame is send it back and have to wait again for a fix. I'm hoping that won't be the case for me.
    I feel Triton just has to tighten up the tolerances a bit and work on pushing frames out a bit quicker and they'll be good to go.

From Russia with luv!
    Wanted to post up some photos of the work in progress, but will do it later due to lack of time.

Had an idea today: MTBR members can see photos of the work in progress that I post here but you may not get the full idea of how Triton works and looks.
    I can take my wife's tiny Sony camera and take short videos showing our workshop and Triton workers. Currently the workshop is still a bit ghetto style, but still it starts looking better and better every day.
    This will give you guys a better idea of Triton. More and more local riders come around Triton's new shop and they seem to like the atmosphere (though a visitor means I loose like 1-2 hours of work time and I hate that haha
    This Friday I planned to spend all of my time on emails but I had 5 (!) customer visitors and two long Skype calls. That meant I got a couple of customers but lost a complete day = many unresponded emails. Sorted situation partially today.

So, do you guys want these videos on like monthly basis?
    In English of course.
    TritonBikes.com

meow, meow.
    I see nothing wrong with ghetto style workshops. I even prefer it that way (mid-20th century look and feel, but modern precision equipment where it matters).
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    pulga, you may be right.
    My partner says we are growing too slow.
    ]
    Be very careful of expanding quickly.

Plenty of brands expand quickly, add volume, add debts to pay for the equipment needed, lost track of the book keeping and then it suddenly goes tits up. All it takes is for a company to lose track of either the orders or the money, then one or the other to get called in unexpectedly. There was a custom Ti builder in the UK a little while ago called Setavento, they got set up, got popular and got bust within about three years.

It's not just little guys either, who would have thought Raceface would suddenly go bust one day, or Titus, or Iron Horse for that matter?

If you're going to keep expanding you have got to get a an accountant in to watch the money, maybe even someone who's job it is to keep track of orders and communication full time. It's way more important than tools or fabrication!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

WaltWorks has the Ticket

In my book, if I get a custom frame, which I won't be doing anytime soon, the way WaltWorks does it is very effective and unique. A quick glance of his blog lets buyers see where they are in the build que. More small builders should do this. no pictures, but simple and effective.

Ever since Triton tried to take things in house, building has actually seemed to slow down. When the work was contracted to Rapid Bikes out Russia, building seemed quicker. Maybe this relationship with Rapid Bikes, Titanium bicycle frames and components production, I think this is the company, can be strengthend to get frame build times down.

Actually looking at Rapid's gallery, they have some Triton frames displayed. Odd ... ... Galery of RAPID Company titanium products | RAPID*Company official website

Hopefully things improve, or your partner may be right, you should have milked it while you could ...

mtbr member
    Actually looking at Rapid's gallery, they have some Triton frames displayed. Odd
    Its really not odd at all. They have pictures of Triton frames because that's part of what they do. They build frames for other companies. Just like Kenisis, they build frames for other bike companies and they sell some under their own name. If you're building products for other well known companies, you might as well us that as part of your marketing strategy.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

wyrd bi ful rd
    So just to reiterate ... Rapid used to make unicycles for Triton, then trial bikes? Then Triton decided to bring manufacturing under their own roof?

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast