Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    meow, meow.
    Hey, my Ti frame has them too )
    This whole area on my frame looks very similar to yours, except mine has welded on covers resulting in a flat triangular shelf-like area behind the BB.

What I'm getting at, however, is how precisely parallel the tabs are welded in relation to the BB shell face. This is critical for proper Hammerschmidt installation.

I know that Lynskey do weld ISCG tabs in a Hammerschmidt ready way.
    But I don't know if anyone has ever tried to mount a HS on one of these Russian frames.
    26" faithful.

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho
    Hey, my Ti frame has them too )
    This whole area on my frame looks very similar to yours, except mine has welded on covers resulting in a flat triangular shelf-like area behind the BB.

What I'm getting at, however, is how precisely parallel the tabs are welded in relation to the BB shell face. This is critical for proper Hammerschmidt installation.

I know that Lynskey do weld ISCG tabs in a Hammerschmidt ready way.
    But I don't know if anyone has ever tried to mount a HS on one of these Russian frames.
    Depends on exactly how precise you need "precise" to mean.

Having just had a quick look (sorry, no photos right now, maybe get some tomorrow if you want them) and it does seem to be very straight - my method of ascertaining this is not measured but precise enough.
    The inner crankbolt stubs (no bolts, bolts in clashed with the bolts securing the guide to the mounts) clear the aforementioned chainguide bolts by <1mm at all 3 points - maybe not a precise measurement but a good indication that it's pretty straight (the tightness of the gap making the margin of error smaller, if my logic is functioning correctly).

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    Depends on exactly how precise you need "precise" to mean.

Having just had a quick look (sorry, no photos right now, maybe get some tomorrow if you want them) and it does seem to be very straight - my method of ascertaining this is not measured but precise enough.
    The inner crankbolt stubs (no bolts, bolts in clashed with the bolts securing the guide to the mounts) clear the aforementioned chainguide bolts by <1mm at all 3 points - maybe not a precise measurement but a good indication that it's pretty straight (the tightness of the gap making the margin of error smaller, if my logic is functioning correctly).
    Thanks!

But it seems that Hammerschmidt wants more precision than is possible to see with the eyes. That's why they make the cutting piece to face the tabs and the BB shell. Sadly, it's of little use against Titanium, so we have to rely on manufacturing precision.
    26" faithful.

Ride the dream
    Thanks!

But it seems that Hammerschmidt wants more precision than is possible to see with the eyes. That's why they make the cutting piece to face the tabs and the BB shell. Sadly, it's of little use against Titanium, so we have to rely on manufacturing precision.
    To be honest, I wouldn't be particularly upset if it turned out that I couldnt use a HS, for starters 1x9 (32 / 11-34) leaves very little to be desired. It's simple, light (could be lighter if I removed the chaindevice, but I don't particularly intend to) and reliable.

Hammerschmidt, though a nice idea, doesn't particularly appeal to me due mostly to its cost and that I'm not sure that the added fuss, weight and need to shift are actually worth taking on when the occiasions that 1x9 isn't enough are so rare.

All that said, I'd be rather surprised if they were unable to be precise enough if it was specifically requested, but thats really a question for Dmitry.

meow, meow.
    Yes, 1x9 doesn't need a Hammerschmidt.
    But I'm liking the idea of a "two in one" singlespeed bike for urban messing around. )
    26" faithful.

usually cranky
    that bar/ stem looks sweet. for a company name how about KGBicyles?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    that bar/ stem looks sweet. for a company name how about KGBicyles?
    Hahaha, I like that

From Russia with luv!
    Wow.

Some of the dropouts, disc caliper tabs, headtubes, gussets and other parts look very familiar to me. The BB shell on that trials frame looks faced, which is great to see.

It's also nice to see more machined parts that I'm used to. Have you figured a way to routinely introduce these in your designs?

Can you weld some Paragon dropouts on a custom frame?
    How about some Hammerschmidt ready ISCG 05 tabs?
    Eccentric BB shells?
    Tapered (1.5" to 1.125") headtube shells?
    Hose and cable routing concealed inside the frame?

And let's hope the second Ti tubing plant doesn't get involved in making missiles too.

By the way, Revolt Cycles sounds somewhat BMX.
    Fallout Cycles maybe? )

(signed: yours sincerely, the guy with "leftist" derailer hanger )
    Privet tovarish!
    Yeah, I have seen your "leftist" frame on the Russian bike forums. Was funny and sad at the same time.

There are a few types of dropouts we are using I have designed myself and a few ones are generic.
    Paragon dropouts are optional. There are a couple of 29er frames ordered to run with Paragon dropouts.
    There have been over 150 Triton frames built, but Tom's (EnglishT) was the first one with the ISCG'05 tabs. I'd rather have a set of HS' on hands, just like Lynskey do.
    I may be putting the hammerschmidts on my future 29er bike. Also like this idea. I tried riding it a bit and felt fine. Though the price...

> Eccentric BB shells?

Yup. The Paragon shells.

> Tapered (1.5" to 1.125") headtube shells?

Well, it's a fairly new trend and nobody has yet requested such a headtube. It can be machined. But it will be an expensive part in bike frame (too much material will be lost since you have to shave off a cone out of a cylinder). I'd rather wait till guys like Paragon start machining them in large numbers and for lower price.

> Hose and cable routing concealed inside the frame?
    My trials bike has got integrated brake hose guides. I really love this idea because I can carry my bike like a bag Just a round smooth top tube. See pics below.
    But that's a singlespeed trials bike. No gears, just rear brake. For a classic mountain bike you'd also need to hide cable routing inside the tube. I would pull the front mech cable through the down tube and the rear + brake through the top tube. But that's kind of too many holes in the front triangle. Needs to be tested.

meow, meow.
    Hi there, Dmitry!

I also spy a rear rotor guard on your mod.
    Was it a one-off part or these are available to customers?
    How do you like its performance?
    Is it changeable and what kind of impacts (in terms of what failed moves) it can protect against without bending?

(Edit: I just found some info on it on facebook.)

And I still have lots more questions.

For instance (if I take the traditional 1xN, derailer-based drivetrain route for the next version of my frame), is it possible to make the rear triangle offset 6 mm to the right, like some Specialized frames are?

What's the strength/stiffness difference between chainstay bridges on my frame (covered) and Tom's (see-through)?

I agree that it's better to wait for Paragon tapered headtubes.
    And it's really great to see the hidden cable routing.

I'll ask more questions through PM now.
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 04-09-2010 at 08:28 AM.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I love how you run the cables through the tube!

From Russia with luv!
    Hi there, Dmitry!

I also spy a rear rotor guard on your mod.
    Was it a one-off part or these are available to customers?
    How do you like its performance?
    Is it changeable and what kind of impacts (in terms of what failed moves) it can protect against without bending?

(Edit: I just found some info on it on facebook.)

And I still have lots more questions.

For instance (if I take the traditional 1xN, derailer-based drivetrain route for the next version of my frame), is it possible to make the rear triangle offset 6 mm to the right, like some Specialized frames are?

What's the strength/stiffness difference between chainstay bridges on my frame (covered) and Tom's (see-through)?

I agree that it's better to wait for Paragon tapered headtubes.
    And it's really great to see the hidden cable routing.

I'll ask more questions through PM now.
    I have always wanted a rotor guide on my trials bike. The trials motorbikes always had them and not a single bicycle. I did a number of sketches before drawing this thing. We put the first rotor guard back 2007 on my white 20" trials Triton. It has helped me a lot. When the wheel missed narrow wooden benches and fell off, it landed on the guard, not the rotor thus saving it. I'm a heavy guy (90-102kg depending on how much I eat ). The rotor guide always survived. It was a prototype used on my bike only. I dropped the bicycle business and never made them guards again.
    A few months ago a trials rider from the UK ordered a frame from and he wanted this guard So we made one for him.

He used it within first days and reported me:

Oh and the disk protector works! It saved my disk already lol.

Thanks

Dan
    Now there's another customer who has ordered a 24" street/trials frame with this guard. We have come up with the generic mount to make it interchangeable. The guards are machined out of D16t aluminum (Russian tech standards). It's quite a strong thing. It's mounted on 3xM6 bolts and protects you both from side and vertical impacts.

Looks like our jig lets us make the 6mm offset.
    Tom's frame is intended for XC/Trail use. Your frame is more like a street style Your BB yoke is stiffer thus heavier. Tom's got the lighter one.
    For trials we use boxed yokes (like yours). For trail riding there isn't a need for a heavy duty yoke.

thanks

TritonBikes.com

Titanium frames and components handbuilt in Russia

El Pollo Diablo
    Those are gorgeous.
    Never had any interest in owning a unicycle until seeing this thread.
    (Still won't buy one, but a Russian made HT frame... another story entirely)

From Russia with luv!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    Those are gorgeous.
    Never had any interest in owning a unicycle until seeing this thread.
    (Still won't buy one, but a Russian made HT frame... another story entirely)
    Same story here.
    Never been a fan of unicycles until we built the first batch. Unicyclist friends helped us out to come up with the functional yet nice design and we fell in love we are building five unis now for demonstration purposes, and I will certainly start learning to ride those things soon.
    We don't have unicycles in Russia at all. Hope they don't arrest me for this haha
    TritonBikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Tell us more about the tubes, are they butted? Is the flat stock the same grade? Can you show any pictures of the actual welding environment?

For names I like: Czar(Tzar) Cycles, The Big Red One

meow, meow.
    Czar would conflict with a well known trials brand..

Big Brother Bikes? No, because the acronym for that is BBB, and it's already taken.
    26" faithful.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    now the question is about the pricing...........
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

From Russia with luv!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    now the question is about the pricing...........
    You can PM me for pricing.

The price list will also be published at http://tritonframes.com shortly
    TritonBikes.com

From Russia with luv!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii
    Tell us more about the tubes, are they butted? Is the flat stock the same grade? Can you show any pictures of the actual welding environment?

For names I like: Czar(Tzar) Cycles, The Big Red One
    Czar bikes already exist. And they are Chinese trials frames and components.

Guys, I have registered this thing as Triton Bikes ages ago and everybody knows me here as Triton Bikes. I hope the name will spread
    I am not looking for any other names and I don't want to go too Soviet Union since this production may move to Europe one day.
    We are now more into developing the line of production frames and components, rather than playing with the names

I will be adding fabrication shots on the site too.

All the frames pictured are of the same Ti grade. We will be offering Reynolds Ti versions soon.
    Two of my bikes are made of the Russian Ti and I have been obusing them for years.

TritonBikes.com

I've got old bikes
    Apr 2010
    The welding looks immaculate from the outside - mind showing the inside of some tubes? Great machined parts too.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Frames look great, I would roll with one of those around my XC trails

Glove Softener
    Nice looking. I had a Ti bike cuctom made in Russia in (I think) 2001... The dropouts and other details look very similar, so I suspect they are related to my old bike.

FWIW, my Russian Ti bike is the only MTB frame I have ever owned that did not break in 2 years or less... 9 years and going strong now!
    Don't do what Donnie Don't does.

dot
    mtbr member
    Relabeled rapid frames with a heftier price tag I suppose.

http://www.rapid-titan.ru/frame_mtb.htm

look at the dropouts:

and the chainstay yoke:

Quality control is somewhat lousy, there was a well-known frame with a hanger welded into the left side dropout, I've seen badly built frames with tubes joined askew.

The thing is one can order frames directly from Rapid without any intermediaries.
    Last edited by dot; 04-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dot
    Quality control is somewhat lousy, there was a well-known frame with a hanger welded into the left side dropout
    Haha, that's my frame, and I ride it extensively! I even prefer it the way it is.

Jokes aside, one of things that Triton Bikes does for you is make sure that there are no build mess-ups. Another thing they do is value added stuff like Shark Fin brake rotor guard.

I would have ordered from Triton in the first place if I knew about them a year ago.
    26" faithful.

dot
    mtbr member
    Jokes aside, one of things that Triton Bikes does for you is make sure that there are no build mess-ups.
    That's the point but I don't know current prices and how much this guy charges, local prices (in Moscow) spiked in 2008 and I dropped the idea of ordering a custom frame from Rapid. I also had a Ti frame from another russian frame maker from Nizhny Novgorod, they are known as Titerra. Quality and weight both were fine.

Frames from Titerra and Rapid were sold in Europe in America under many different names, I saw some made by them in a thread on one of the local forums, I don't remember which forum exactly it was though.

From Russia with luv!
    Quote Originally Posted by dot
    Relabeled rapid frames with a heftier price tag I suppose.

http://www.rapid-titan.ru/frame_mtb.htm

look at the dropouts:

and the chainstay yoke:

Quality control is somewhat lousy, there was a well-known frame with a hanger welded into the left side dropout, I've seen badly built frames with tubes joined askew.

The thing is one can order frames directly from Rapid without any intermediaries.

Dear Dot, you are correct, we have built a lot of frames with Rapid. And it is not a secret, and never was. But using a welder from Rapid is not exactly building a frame at Rapid. As far as I know, all frames with Triton label were exclusively designed by me and Triton team riders in close cooperation with Triton customers. If some of our designs were used by Rapid itself, outside my knowledge, that is beyond our control.

There are more than 150 Triton frames ridden all over the world. Most of them are trials 20”/26” and unicycles. I have been into trials for over ten years and I know how a trials specific bike should be designed. Rapid guys do not know this. They are building frames for Triton under our specifications and very tight control. Just like Merlin used to build frames for Jeff Jones.

Before a frame is built, I spend a lots of time discussing the future bike with my customer, over the phone, email and Skype.
    I check every part of the frame built for us under Triton logo. I measure all the tiny bits, check the quality of welds, study the frame carefully. Also we at Triton do the finishing of the frame, such as brushing by hand and powder coating outside the Rapid. I did design and develop several trials, as well as street use dropouts that DO work and are put on our standard frame sets (and never failed yet).

Our unicycles are sold in Europe by Triton's West European distributor Joachim Pfender ( a well known person in the world of unicycles). And his is another step in our quality control.

Sure you can order a frame directly from Rapid. But you have already specified what happens when you do so. The mech hanger on the left side of the frame?

- How does it happen?

That is just one of many such misshapes that can occur often enough if no control of quality is done. And believe me, our quality control is done continuously. I spend many hours a week at Rapid facility. If the frame does not pass our inspection, we do not ship it. Easy. They make another frame, until we are completely satisfied with the result.

It also happens because Rapid is a small shop (not even a factory), where some good workers that know their trade, such as welding and metal working, do their routine. But none of these guys ride bicycles, and know little of bike specific science, the riding styles and the needs in the specific categories, the tech changes and advances that take place in the bicycle world regularly. I do ride EVERY day. I commute every day, I ride my trials, XC and street bikes a few times a week. Something like a left-oriented mech hanger is nonsense to me. That is why all of our customers are happy with their frames. We have received tons of great responses and comments from all over the world. We have had quite a few customers who had ordered another frame after a year of riding Triton. The people trust our products and this is what satisfies me a lot and pushes me to do more bikes.

These days we are in the process of moving into new workshop where we will continue to design and build Triton frames using top equipment, experimenting with different Ti tubing manufacturers. We will be offering some new products as well as options on our existing frame sets. But I can assure you, and every one, that no Triton frame will get that "TRITON" label and leave our hands, before we are completely happy with the results.
    And that is much more than just relabeling Rapid frames.

We will be posting updates to the newly created blog at http://tritonframes.com

Thanks,

Dmitry and Simon
    Last edited by Triton Bikes; 04-19-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    TritonBikes.com

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast