mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Trials/Commute bike

I am wanting to get a separate bike for a short college commute, since I am looking at getting another bike for this I kind of want it to have a seperate purpouse.

To this aim I have decided that a bike that would be easier to practice trials work (rather than my full sus) would be the way to go. The extra practice I think would allow me to xfer some skill back and fourth where it would be otherwise harder to learn said abilities.

Only problem is, I don't really know what I am looking for in a trials bike.

What kinds of things should I be seeking out?

I Have Cookies
    are you looking for a Trials bike or a Trails bike ?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    trials; bout all I can figure is light weight and no suspension. Want something that can take a bit of a beating from trying to hop on/off of things.

Past that I don't really know what I am looking for in a trial bike build.

I bought some clip on fenders for rainy/muddy commute days

T.W.O.
    The 2 don't mix really Trial bikes usually has not seat/seat tube and small chainring/SS the geometry is not really for commuting definitely not gearing for one.

If you are already good at it you can do with any bikes even road bike but if you are learning a Trial specific bike would be much easier to learn.

Take a look at the Cannondale Hooligan I don't know how much beating it can take but it sure looks like a fun bike to goof around with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Trials bike:

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I guess I should be a bit more specific.

The distance is going to be relatively close so not to worried about being a single speed (parking off campus, riding in); I do want a bike with a seat honestly, so it wont be a "trials" bike in that regard...

The front fork on the hooligan looks crazy; but it sounds like It might be a reasonable direction to try to take this.

Is there a reason the (above) trials bike has a miss-matched braking system?

I don't know, the distance is pretty short; I may just ditch the idea of trying to go hybrid and just go for a full trials bike.

I own a 2006 mongoose super teocali; I have done some trials work/practice with the thing; but honestly it just really seems like the worst possible way to try to learn.