mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trek6000WSD, Specialized MykaSport/Elite, KHSAlite2000 WHICH ONE???

I am in the final stages of buying a new Mountain Bike. I am not a huge Mountain Biker, really want to do gravel gates Forest Service roads on damp days or high traffic times of day when road biking isn't so great. I mostly road bike, but sometimes get tired of the traffic situations (have a Trek Pilot 5.0 WMSpecific road bike, LOVE IT!)

I am 95% sure I want hardtail, because I do'nt plan to do technical, don't want to spend over $1500 and want to keep it as light as possible. I"m narrowed down to 3 options and would like feedback

Trek6000WSD, 2010 15.5" women's specific. $900--sharp looking, good brand, good bike shop.

Specialized MykaSport/Elite, the sport 15" was super comfortable and felt like the right size, I"m a bit worried about the low end of this model, so may look into Elite -- smae bike shop as TREK

KHSAlite2000--I saw a size medium (17") and liked it alot, but they didn't have a small. This is NOT women's specific, and from what I can tell the KHS Wms specific is just the same bike in a differernt color. This is NOT the case with Specialized and Trek, those two companies have different WMS geometry, seats, handlebars, shifters/brakes etc. BUT the KHS has better components, I think is lighter and my local shop said he could get me a 15" mens for $900 (200 under list) -- BUT I hate that I can't test drive before the order

So, I want to hear your feedback, experience, advice on these brands and models

There's no app for this.

It sounds like you know what

you want and how to get the right fit, but most of us are men over here. May I suggest you bounce any ideas off your sisters over in the ladies' forum? they may have more experience there with the WSD-ish bikes. Just a suggestion, Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good idea, thanks
    you can tell I"m new here!