mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. trek fuel/liquid size question

attn: average sized fuel/liquid owners

i've owned and loved a number of trek [family] bikes over the years and am considering either a fuel or liquid for my next purchase. i've liked the reliability and feel of trek bikes and find that usually the sizing works pretty well. i'm 6' tall, 155 lbs, 32" inseam and seem to be right in between a medium and large size. man, what a difference between 17 vs 19 in!

i do pretty technical xc riding in vermont, from lots of rocks/roots to some crazy borderline dh stuff. last summer i was riding a 17" or so klein hardtail/duke xc and oh wow was that the wrong bike for so many reasons. now, i'm going back to f/s and want input.

you out there who are approx my height, what size trek are you riding, why, and how do you like it? i figure i could do either, but like SO many other people, a 17 feels small and a 19 feels big.

if i can't work this out, i'm going to scrap the whole idea and start looking for 18" bikes...
    thanks.

Are you talking to me?

Forget the 17" bikes.

At 6' you are a 19 for sure. Now, you need to define your riding priorities. The Fuel is a short travel racing platform. If you are not planning on racing, go with the Liquid. Have you given your LBS a chance to fit you to a bike? There are small adjustments that the shop can do to make all the difference. Remember, as the size of the bike changes, the seat tube and the top tube get longer. Changing to a different length stem almost always helps. Do you have a bike now that you can measure and compare?

mtbr member
    the fuel will be good at 19.5 but i've heard that the liquid has a pretty high top tube so you should probably ride both the 17.5 and 19.5 in the liquid before deciding. the fuel is a tough bike, a friend and i have done things that a race xc machine would probably never see. each bike has held up very well. but every now and then, when i'm going downhill and am in the midst of a really technical rock garden i wish for a little more travel. i think the liquid might be better suited with the things you want to do. you might even want to try the gary fisher cake, just too have a different option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by davelovestrek
    attn: average sized fuel/liquid owners

i've owned and loved a number of trek [family] bikes over the years and am considering either a fuel or liquid for my next purchase. i've liked the reliability and feel of trek bikes and find that usually the sizing works pretty well. i'm 6' tall, 155 lbs, 32" inseam and seem to be right in between a medium and large size. man, what a difference between 17 vs 19 in!

i do pretty technical xc riding in vermont, from lots of rocks/roots to some crazy borderline dh stuff. last summer i was riding a 17" or so klein hardtail/duke xc and oh wow was that the wrong bike for so many reasons. now, i'm going back to f/s and want input.

you out there who are approx my height, what size trek are you riding, why, and how do you like it? i figure i could do either, but like SO many other people, a 17 feels small and a 19 feels big.

if i can't work this out, i'm going to scrap the whole idea and start looking for 18" bikes...
    thanks.
    The Fuel fits all of your needs except the crazy borderline DH stuff.

You mentioned your inseam. Is that a true inseam or a pants inseam? ALso, what is the top tube length on your current bike and how do you feel about it? Too long?, too short? just right? It's hard to recommend a bike size without knowing more about the rider Do you want a more aggressive posture or more upright? Let us know.

If you intend to do a fair amout of DH stuff I'd switch focus to a beefier bike...Liquid, heckler, 5 Spot, etc. The Fuel can handle all of the XC riding you can throw at it....especially at your weight, but it's definitely not for FR/DH riding at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

more about me

thanks for all who have written already. i totally understand the difference between the fuel and liquid (xc racer vs. longer travel fr). once i've determined which would be more useful overall, i consider myself deficient in simply figuring out the basic setups, eg.
    how upright is too upright, or vice versa, how much i'm willing to sacrifice for comfort (or should). i don't know for sure, but a 19.5" just sounds too big for me...

what are the possible outcomes between swapping a super short stem on a larger frame or doing the opposite? i assume it will affect steering/control a great deal. as i mentioned, my last ride was a smallish 17" klein frame...at least it felt small to me, even with a rather long stem. i was still able to balance pretty well on steep inclines and scoot my ass behind the seat when necessary. is the general consensus that a shorter reach, i.e. smaller frame bike, provides more or less control? on a larger frame, i imagine i'll be more in the riding position i'd like, but am i asking to flip over my bars on downhills? in fact, would i be more likely to endo with a smaller OR larger frame???