mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Trek Fuel 90 cracked, getting Fuel EX8 replacement

So my super old 2001 Trek Fuel 90 got a crack where the top tube is welded to the seat tube. It happened when I was powering up a hill, I heard that tell tale creaking and even though I'd never heard it before, from reading around her I knew immediately what it was. Hopped off, started searching and bam, there it was. Luckily that's a crack that even though was annoying, didn't really affect my ride back to the car.

So, lengthy story that I've already told you most of shortened down ever so slightly, my LBS is handling the warranty and getting me a brand new Fuel EX8.

The issue here, as you may have noticed, is that hardly any of my components will transfer over. The old bike has V brakes, new frame doesn't have mounting spots for them. The fork is 100mm, new one takes a 120mm so keeping the old would throw off the geometry or require a heck of a lot of spacers. The crank set won't work I'm told, basically all I get to keep is MAYBE the handlebar, pedals, saddle and deraileurs.

So my request here is if anyone could point me towards some affordable replacements and possibly somewhere where I could figure out exactly what would transfer and what to look for when searching for new parts. And when I say affordable, I don't mean like a cheap $60 fork but I also can't afford a $450 fork...so somewhere in between kind of thing.

Thank you to anyone who can assist!

T.W.O.
    2 biggest item is fork and wheel. Check classified for the fork. You can get relative good deal on Mavic wheelset Competitive cyclist had the Mavic disc wheelset on sale for $99.

For other components you need check out PricePoint, you can pick up a decent brakeset for $100-150. You may want to consider a wider riser bar as well.

Go to the "where are the best deal" forum and check out the discount and great deal on the components you may need.

good luck

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'd say if your no load head angle on the new frame/fork combo is less than 71-72 its ok, I ride a 73-73 rigid and that can be somewhat nervous and twitchy. There are no spacers to get to put "under the frame" since the forktube/headtube itself is just slightly wider at the bottom for the headset bottom ring to fit snugly. 1 degree (nothing) is like 25mm fork lenght so I wouldn't cry a river about it..

but other than that YOU JUST WON THE ****ING LOTTERY DUDE!!!!!!

Got new frame and ****, and now you wondering how to transfer that old crap to the new one. Take it from me, new frame=new build=new components=works out best.

Just get that fork on your new frame, no spacers or whatever crap you hear of, just put that old fork in there, transfer the headset, use a pipe and a hammer to get it out if you haven't already, and if you need to get a new one don't forget about the bottom ring on the fork (it needs to go, and you put in the new one for the new headset, best solution is a kife and hammer, then hammer and pipe to get it off).

seatpost - get new if its not matching

Discs, get new. Levers too

Derealiers - get new, and new shifters too, the longest lasting **** is XTR, get XTR. Dont get 10 speed (wont last long). Well actually if its 8-speed you should probably keep it, itsa much better than 9 and 10 speed.

Wheels - keep if they have disc mounts, if not get new, I suggest SLX or better hubs and WTB rims, MAVIC is better, most of the boutique stuff is mass produced taiwan crap anyway and its all the same ****, at least shimano if working good when its working!

Get new cables

Basically what you can keep is - stem, handelbar, saddle, seatpost (if matching), pedals, bottom bracket, cranks, headset (if matching), qr skewers, seat clamp, casette (if..), chain better get new one if not new.

You just got a new frame man, for free! Be happy.
    Last edited by car bone; 05-11-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I definitely need to get a new wheel set, the old ones don't have disc mounting. And the fork I'm still on the fence about, I guess i can always just throw it on there and see how it rides.

Don't get me wrong, I am super stoked for the new set up. I just can't afford all the pieces and parts right now. I bought the fuel 90 when i was 16 and had nothing better to spend the money on. Now I've got silly obligations like...rent...and student loans. I would like to get what I can out of the old stuff just to get her trail ready ASAP and then i'll start swapping out some of that older stuff as i get the funds but I'd like to be able to ride in the mean time cuz it's gunna be 6 or so months before I can afford to replace EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll do what I can with the fork and check out that other subforum and website.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'm all for reusing everything you can! Check out chainreactioncycles.com they usually have some stuff on sale, I just cruised in there but I couldn't find that "whats on sale function" so you may have to search that site, but usually they have much stuff on sale, and then it gets cheap to buy stuff for your bike, you just have to find that filter/mode on the site. then you can probably get most of the stuff you need on the cheap. They also build custom wheels, I just got a SLX/WTB Speed disc rear and it looks good so far and it was real cheap too!

Anyway good luck with your bike, try to find used parts, on the internet, its always cheap.
    You are probably looking at 500 or so to get it working (or more or much much more depending).
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

2DK
    2DK
    That is an awesome deal! I just finished building a Fuel 80 (new/ old stock frame off ebay) and dig it...... though not as much as a BRAND new EX8 frame! You can always sell the EX8, Fuel 90 components and pick up a gently used mountain bike off craigslist or ebay. There are always sick deals here in NYC because rich dudes spend a fortune on a bike only to realize they hate riding it.......... on the street, lol

Afric Pepperbird
    Once again, Trek treating it's customers right.

mtbr member
    I went through the same thing last summer with my Top Fuel. I had an 05 Top Fuel that broke and they sent me a new 2011 Top Fuel 9.9ssl frame. Nothing fit. Funny thing is that there seemed to be only one seatpost that fit that bike which was the $200 Bontrager XXX lite post. Also needed new bearings and some other things. Luckily I was able to sell my old parts and make up most of the expenses of the new parts. Then I sold the whole bike at the end of the season for more than I paid for it. Not a bad deal
    Last edited by 3fast3furious; 05-20-2011 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I rode a Giant AC (which was designed for a 5"+ travel fork) with a RockShox SID 100 on it. Not the most appropriate, to be certain, but it held me over for a season. It can be done.