mtbr member

Trek Ex8 or Stumpjumper comp

I want to buy my first full suspension bike. At my price point there is the Trek or the Stump comp. What is the best value. I thought the stumpy was the way to go but the Trek looks good also. Any information and feedback would be welcome. I am in my mid fifties and used to race MTB's many years ago but for the last 10 years I have been riding on the road. However the trails where I live are excellent and I miss the feel of the MTB rides.

T.W.O.
    I'd go with the Trek ex8. Both bikes have enough house brand components so no advantage on either one.

Afric Pepperbird
    I've never ridden a Stumpy Comp., but my Fuel EX8 is smooooth as butter!

T.W.O
    Trek.

mtbr member

Ex8

I picked a 2011 Ex8 about 4 weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

Former Bike Wrench
    They are both very good bikes, similar (though not entirely the same) suspension designs that both offer good traction under braking.

I would pick the Specialized (as I did purchase a FSR Comp 29er this year after testing a Fisher and Giant) for the following reasons.

-I like the Rock Shox forks with adjustable Motion Control over the non-adjustable Fox RL

-There is a clear difference in shifting feel between SRAM X7/X9 and SLX/XT 10 speed setups. The SRAM had shorter throws at the shifter and the front shifting is the best I have ever felt.

-While I have no issues with Shimano hubs, have used them for years myself...the M525 on the Trek are not their finest. In fact of the very few freehub body issues I've had, it was with a M525. The seals are also kind of weak. The Specialized hubs (made by Formula) are not anything special but they are cartridge bearing and the freehub seems solid. The front hub is also a 9mm thru bolt for a little more stiffness (good since the fork is 20mm longer travel)

-The Elixer R brakes on the Specialized are a bit nicer than the Elixer 5 on the Trek. Mainly they have a tool free lever adjustment and and the "SL" comes with semi-metallic pads which I have prefered with Avid brakes for many years over the sintered metallic pads which tend to be quite noisy.

-Both use proprietary shocks and sizes so that is kind of a wash, I've had no issues with my Triad so far.

In the end I not only liked the feel of the Specialized better, but it also offers a slightly better spec in areas that are quite noticeable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Trek EX 8, it's a great abusable bike.. I have one myself.
    Read all the reviews on them, the top in their field.

mtbr member
    trek

mtbr member
    Both are fairly comparable, mtnbiker72 breaks down the differences quite nicely. But what it comes down to is this-test ride both bikes! Get the one that "feels" the best for you. Parts can be changed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. I was able to test ride both all be it in a parking lot but I liked the Stumpjumper better. It felt lighter and more nimble than the Trek. Not sure why but the Trek felt sluggish to me while the Stumpjumper felt quicker and lighter. Also the shifting did feel crisper on the Stumpjumper. As a bonus the Stumpjumper is on sale at $400 less than the Trek.

mtbr member

Smile

Nice..I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike. I am biased ('10 FSR Expert), but they are both good bikes. I've ridden the EX 8 quite a few times (work @ Trek dealer), but I bought the Stumpjumper before I had the job. I have to say that the I like the fact that the SJ is 140mm vs the 120mm of the Trek. My rear suspension feels more active/responsive than the EX 8, even w/ the Brain. My bike is also about 1.5 pounds lighter. Don't get me wrong, the Trek is a great bike as well. The one feature of the Trek that I do covet is the tapered headtube.

Happy Trails!
    2014 Tallboy 2

Afric Pepperbird
    Any bike that needs a "brain" to help it along scares me

But get out there and enjoy your ride!

It's all about the FSR!
    Not all Stumpy bikes have the brain. I just picked up my 10 Comp, and it doesn't have one. I considered the EX8 as well, but did not ride one. I believe that the EX8 was more than mine.