Thread: Trek 970??

mtbr member
    May 2011

Trek 970??

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and to bikes in general. I am looking for a new used bike because I made the mistake of buying one that was a size 22 and I'm 5'10 lol. I found a Trek 970 for $150 from a retired gentleman who buys and refurbishes bikes. He said he recommends riding as many bikes as I can before buying one and said that I should research the 970 before buying it to make sure it's what I'm looking for because most people who want a 970 are looking for that bike specifically. All I know about it is this so far, "Shimano 21 speed XT drivetrain. Wheelset is 26" with quick release mechanisms on both wheels. Tires are currently commuter tires 26" X 1.5". Alloy seat post and bottle cage" and it has an 18' steel frame.

1. I'm looking for a bike to commute with as well as take on light gravel/dirt trails. Would this suffice?

2. Why would he recommend researching the 970 a bit more spefically?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Depending on the model year the 970 was the top of the line or second from top MTB Trek offered with a steel frame. It should be a double butted frame with very usable components. For the type of riding you are doing it should work great. $150 is a good price if condition is good, the frame fits you and the seller did all of the preventive maintenance. Don't buy this if you are going to get into the upgrade game with it, it will not be worth it. This is a perfectly fine ride it like it is bike and just keep up the maintenance and replace wear items like brake pads as needed.

I commute daily on a very similar bike that also gets light trail use and it works great.

Former Bike Wrench
    I owned a 1996 970, they are fantastic bikes. The frames were made from True Temper butted Chromoly as well as the rigid forks.

21 speed XT dates it to 1991-1993 most likely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That should be a good bike for what you want to use it for. It's probably close to 20 years old, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if everything is working ok. For a used bike in that price range, I think an mid to high-end old rigid steel frame (like the 970) is far better than a newer used bike that would likely have a crappy low-end suspension fork on it.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you all very much for your responses. The bike ended up being a little too small for me. The gentleman said that I have kind of a large frame for someone my height and the bike seemed a bit small for me. I guess I have long legs and arms, very broad shoulders and I work out quite often. I didn't know that having more bulk would change the fit of the bike for me?