mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Trek 8000 vs Scott Scale 40

I have narrowed it down to these to bikes. I can get a 2009 8000 for around 1500 and the 2009 Scale 40 for around 16. I i am just wondering what would be the better bike. I know the forks are different, the Scott has a Fox fork. I am 5'11" and would get a medium in the Trek and a large in the Scale 40. Looked up online and both have the geometry. Just looking for input on the better bike for the components. thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    These are two well-matched bikes component-wise. Drivetrains are identical (and very good). XT cranks on the Trek ever so slightly edge out the SLX cranks on the Scott. Fox F100 and Reba are both excellent forks, not sure how to choose btwn them. The Elixir 5 brakes on the Trek are going to be a step or two up from the Juicy 3.5, Trek gets the nod there. Finally, minor point, but the Scott comes with Mtn King 2.2's which I like very much. Don't know much about the Bontrager tires on the Trek. Tires are a wear item though, can't really base anything on tires because you'll be replacing them in a season anyway.

It's a close call. Choose the one that rides better or fits better. If anyone else is interested here are the links:
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/1664/11751/scale_40
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...8_series/8000/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    both good bikes,would get trek,better brakes and i like reba more
    need more bikes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I demoed both of them 3 months ago when I was shopping for a new bike. I ended up going with the Scale 40 and have not regretted one second of it. The thing is a beast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't know if it matters much to you, but I think Scott has a 5 year warranty on the frame, while I believe the Trek has a lifetime warranty.
    I've never demoed a Scott, but I have a Trek, and wasn't a huge fan of the geometry. Felt too upright, and like the cockpit was slightly cramped.
    However, component wise, it looks like the Trek might be the best bang for the buck, at least slightly.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The link to the above trek shows a 2010 model. I think elixir 5 are actualy juicy 5. But personally I think the paint job on the 2009 is better. I get lots of compliments on mine.
    Also it seems that both trek years are the same so the 2009 would be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mmountainbiker
    The link to the above trek shows a 2010 model. I think elixir 5 are actualy juicy 5. But personally I think the paint job on the 2009 is better. I get lots of compliments on mine.
    Also it seems that both trek years are the same so the 2009 would be cheaper.
    Hmm, you're right. Here's a link to the 2009 bike:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2009/archive/8000