mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Trek 6300 v Core 30 2011.

Narrowed my search down to two bikes, both 2011 models. Trek 6300 at 950 or Genesis Core 30 at 850.
    I like the looks of the Trek more but wonder if the Core is a better buy being a ton less expensive for much the same spec.
    To be used on singletrack as well as longer distance mountain trails.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Stonecold; 04-11-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Never heard of Genesis (I see they are a UK brand), but the Core 30 certainly looks like a decent bike. I especially like that it comes with a larger front rotor and Conti MK II tires.

I haven't ridden a 6K-series Trek, but I've ample saddle time on the 4K-series and they are solid bikes, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the advice dude. Settled on the Genesis Core30, after riding it. Just felt right. Shop owner reckoned the 17.5 " frame was the one for me but I felt more comfortable on the 19 ". Don't know if I'm maybe sacrificing a bit of control when the going gets tough but as I say it "Just felt right." Cheers.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Congrats! Be sure to tell us how it rides and post some pics, if you can.

Happy trails,

HP

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Good job!

Taken a little longer than expected to get up and running with my core30 for various reasons but been out a few times with it now on local trails and I have to say it is AWESOME! What a blast! Just rides soooo well. Feedback is similar to what I felt testing the more expensive steel frame bikes and manages to leave me with a nice big stupid grin at the end of the day. Gonna ditch the Shimano dx clipless though. I ride clipless on my road bike but this is a different kettle of fish. Ordered flats today so DX now up for sale if anyone wants them. I just feel more confident knowing I can touch down in an instant if I need to. Will try to put some pics up soon.