mtbr member
    Sep 2009

TREK 6000 or SPEC ROCK DISC COMP?

Hey all, new here and haven't been on the horse since i joined the Army 6 years ago. Looking to get back in and for some advice on which bike to get. I'll be buying next month when i get back off my latest and greatest deployment to Iraq. I've got the money to spend on either or something else entirly, but i've been out for quite a while now so i haven't ridden in the last 6 years, and i don't want to invest too much just getting back...i'm sure my wife doesn't want me to either . anyways i'm looking to do some single track and lighter stuff around the Kansas area and looking for a bike that can grow with me a little as i progress and that can handle everything else in the meantime. I'm about 5' 9" and 205 if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance guys!
    POLITE, PROFESSIONAL, PREPARED TO KILL. -BRO

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Congrats on the homecoming. Hopefully you can stick around for good and get some riding in. As far as the spec sheets go, they're pretty comparable bikes. Basically the same fork, same brakes. The Trek does have a slightly better drivetrain. Looking at the geo numbers, the Specialized has a slightly more relaxed head angle, but that doesn't amount to much. Both bikes would be great for your intended use. Take them both out for test rides and see if one leaps out at you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the input and the congrats, can't wait to get back. i will definatly be trying both as my LBS carries both, and of course hopefully the weather holds out for me...at this point i don't care i'll ride and freeze if i have to!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the trek 6000 then traded that in for the 6500 shortly after. For the 200 bucks more, you get better shifting, hydro brakes,better hubs, bars, fork, etc... I loved that bike but was forced to sell it over the winter. I ride an 08 epic now and from what ridden and seen, you certainly get what you pay for. If your thinking an entry level hardtail i suggest you take a look at the 6500.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks for the input mike, i think you definatly have a point and i am angling for that when i try them out, its just talking the wife into breaking the 1,000 threshold, if you know what i mean i figure it will be easier to talk her into incremental upgades than to drop the initial money. it doesn't make sense to do it that way and pay more, but it also doesn't make sense to sleep in my garage with my new bike.