mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Trek 4300, What to move to next?

Hey everyone. First post here. I bought a 2006 Trek 4300 about a month ago and I am loving riding! I installed a roof rack and bike rack ( Rhino Rack and Mountain Trail Carrier) so I'm pretty sold. I spent more on the racks then bike actually, $400 to $260. Anyway, the bike is great, but I am getting a feel for what I want in my next bike. I'd like to start picking out my next bike, and when it is available used, craigslist, jump on it. I'd love to get a bike that's a little lighter, weigh in at about 28lbs. Disc brakes, Deore/X7 or better, better fork, and maybe 29s. I ride basically everywhere right now, the closest park is very technical and is a great place to ride, I think I prefer a hard tail with a little softer fork then I have now. I'm moderately familiar with Trek, Marin, and Specialized. If you guys can open up some of the other bikes to me though that'd be great. Maybe a Rockhopper, Hydro HT, or the like. Thanks.

mtbr member

Re: Trek 4300, What to move to next?

I started off with a cheapie bike that I can't remeber the name of. I then went to a Gary Fisher Tassajha. That was stolen and I still miss that bike a lot.
    I now have a specialized camber that I enjoy but have yet to unlock the rear shock. I just got use to riding a hardtail and just keep using my camber that way....
    I was just on crackslist looking for a gary fisher again to have and play around with.

Look around ask guys on the trail and find a good bike shop that is willing to show you bikes your intrested in not what costs the most.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Got the bike bug? Haha. Almost all the big brands will be good. Trek has one of the best geometries with their G2 geometry on the 29ers (Gary Fishers). You are already knowing what to look for it seems. I recommend at least getting a Rockshox fork, as they usually don't put the better SR Suntours on bikes. I would tell you to just ride the bike to the ground like others might say, but we all know how it feels to get the upgrade bug. So, I say keep looking at shops, and if you don't have the money to get at least a $1,000 bike, then I say save up. Unless of course you find a good deal on one...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If you are willing to spend around $1000, then you can buy a Trek Cobia with the best fork in its price bracket.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the info. I don't know about $1000 but if I can save and find the deal I'd like to jump on it. I was leaning heavily to a rockshox. I have a couple buddies with diff bikes I'd like to hop on and try. And I do like the geometry of my trek.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If you can buy a bike for about $900, then you might be able to find a special deal on a Mamba.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If you can buy a bike for about $900, then you might be able to find a special deal on a Mamba.
    Hey look, I found one for $850. Frame is small though, And I don't have $850 right now. I plan on buying used, did I mention that?

2013 Tek Mamba 29er 15" Frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Be patient. Ride the 4300 for now. A 08 Superfly just sold on ebay for $999. Save up and buy the best you can afford, or you'll be doin it again in another couple of months
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Ridin Red
    Apr 2008
    Keep saving and get an upgrade like the bikes mentioned. I did the exact same thing 10 years ago. I'd had a 4500 for 5 years or so, got a good deal on a new (back then) Fisher X-Cal 29er and never looked back. Now the upgrade bug has me looking again after 7 years on that trusty steed...