GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Trek 08 and 09 EX differences? Help?!

Hello All,

Okay, here's where I'm at...and I would LOVE feedback/advice!

I just bought a brand new 2009 EX8 with a few upgrades..it's got XTR shifters and XT cranks. Other than that, stock. I rode one for a demo and loved it, so I bought this one.

But, now I have also seen a very slightly used 2008 EX9 for sale...for about the same price. So I am a bit bummed because as I look at the spec, the 2008 EX9 has more goodies on it. I am debating attempting to sell the 09EX8 for the 08EX9. Good move?

So, I would appreciate ANY and ALL comments. For example, is there something I'm missing between the 08's and 09's that was a big change that might make the 08 EX8 more desirable. Maybe the tapered steertube/headset? What else? Also, how big of a weight difference will these have? Is the EX8 going to be that much heavier? If you were in my shoes, what would you do...keep the 09 EX8 or shoot for the 08 EX9?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Personally I would keep the EX8 because you have a lifetime warranty on the frame. A used bike would have no such thing.

None of the 08 Fuel EX's had tapered headtubes, that is new for 2010. Between 2008 and 2009 I think very little actually changed in the frame. Your EX8 already has ABP, so upgrading to an EX9 would not gain you anything there either. The differences between these two are really in the components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I had a 08 EX8 and sold it for a 08 EX9. Pretty
    much every single part on the EX9 is better than
    the EX8. I'm glad I made the change, it is a better
    bike. However I would have a hard time getting a
    used bike, because you would lose the lifetime
    warranty.

Best, John