Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail riding frame

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Borjawil 
#1 ·
So searching around I've seen some people use dj style frames to ride trails with. I'm wondering how using a dj style frame to ride trails differs from using a mtb ht frame. How does it affect the riding? Pros/cons? Issues with equipment you're able to se n the frames?

#2 ·
I used to ride a Kona Cowan DJ that I converted into a hardtail trail bike, I had to purchase a rear hanger first off. Then I changed my handle bars, brakes, shifters, wheels, and tires....Was not cheap when all said and done.

I think weight it a big issue with DJ frames....they are bullet proof meant to take a beating and with that said weigh a little more than trail/XC bikes. Also the angles are different....I am not an expert when it comes to this but my kona was an XL frame and my new DB Sortie Comp is a Large...my sortie comp feels bigger....wierd. All in all I am a heavy rider and a couple of pounds here and there doesnt make a huge differnce for me but if that type of thing matters to you than I would consider something different.

I really enjoy my full suspension now and wont ever go back...but my Kona was tough as supermans elbow and it is still going up and down mountains (sold it to a guy at work)..

#3 ·
There are many pros and a few cons for using DJ bike for trail riding.

Let's start with the easy one

Cons
DJ bikes are generally heavier because they need to be able to take abuse.
Not all DJ frame can take gears or multiple chain rings, so check before you buy.
You may need a very long seatpost in order to use it for climbing position, DJ frame usually have very short seat tube to keep the CG low.

Pros
It's just a fun bike to ride, short chainstay can make you feel like a manual king. Wheelie on the DJ bikes is very easy and effortless.
DJ frame are usually cheaper than trail or XC bike and they are stronger.
You can use DJ bike for trail riding as well as honing skills messing around jumps and tricks, same can not be said about XC bike.
The skills you learn from easier to manipulate bikes will transfer to others just add more effort.
DJ frame can handle short or long travel fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.