mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Tough XC bike recommendations ~$800

Alright guys, I'm just getting back into riding after a long time off and want some recommendations on where to start looking. I mostly rode bmx before so I'm a little more comfortable on a smaller lighter bike. I tend to be relatively gentle/smooth (I rode race wheels, forks, cranks on my street bike without issues) so I'm thinking a tougher XC or light AM would be plenty for the trails around here. Like I said I want something light that handles small. My dad has a Santa cruz blur xc, which I feel pretty good on. Something that handles similarly but hardtail and preferably under $800 would be perfect. Ive been checking out the offerings from bikesdirect, but a bike with XT components and juicy 3's for $700 seems a little too good to be true. What's the catch lol? I'm also keeping my eye out on craigslist; anywhere else I should be looking?
    Thanks
    Last edited by mnaylo3; 05-03-2011 at 02:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Do a search for Bikes Direct on this forum. It has been done a million times before.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm not questioning the legitimacy of bikesdirect, I'm wondering how motobecane, etc can offer a bike so cheap with such nice components. At that pricepoint you're basically getting the frame for free, which leads me to believe it is of low quality. And I would also like to hear from those that have compared moto's to other rides in the flesh, since I can't do that without buying. Do you actually have any suggestions on bikes to look at?

mtbr member
    A quick look at other current thread finds
    Lightest weight Hardtail under $900 get creative people .
    2010 Motobecane 700 HT Mountain Bike

While not exactly answering you questions theyboth contain good advice.

Have a look at the different foums and threads. Your question has been asked and answered lots of times.

I like Clones123 Access bike.

Focus Black Forest Bike '10 again current threads would highlight this bike.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 05-01-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well my dilemma has been solved for me. It just so happens that my dad got a 2010 carbon Blur on closeout and is going to sell me his aluminum Blur and rear shock. Now I just need to find some deals on components!