mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tough Decision...

Currently, I have a 1998 gt aggressor hardtail that I have finally broken. So, I am in the market for a new bike. The other day I ordered a 2010 fuji reveal 1.0 frame and planned on building it up with the components I want. However, today I saw a deal on a full carbon fuji dsr 3.0 with SLX components for the same price that I was planning on spending on my project. Here is the dilemma, which bike should I get? Both will cost ~$1700.

Fuji reveal 1.0 frame
    -aluminum frame, was going to build it with a manitou marvel comp 130mm fork, rockshox monarch xx rear shock, full deore xt components

Fuji DSR 3.0
    -carbon frame, Comes equipped with full slx components, rockshox recon gold RL solo air 100mm, rockshox monarch R rear shock

I think I could outfit the fuji reveal with better parts for the money, but the allure of the carbon frame is tough to avoid. Either bike will be a huge upgrade. Also, I live in ND and solely ride the Maah Daah Hey (single track with lots of climbing and descending, no big drops or rocks). Based on where I ride, I am thinking that a lighter bike with 100mm of travel will be plenty.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I would stay with the build. Carbon is nice but at that price it would be an entry carbon frame. Look at a Spech carbon frames all in the $3K range, Ti frames are over $2K. A $1700 full SLX build on a carbon frame is suspect. SLX is nice but as stated you could build up that AL frame to suit you with XT or XO. Since you have the frame in hand I would build it up.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert