44K views 250 replies 117 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 · (Edited)
Edited:

10) I9 Wheels < Anything that doesn't make as much noise as I9 hubs
9) Chris King Hubs < Hope Pro II, American Classic
8) Mavic Crossmax Wheels < Handmade wheels
7) Shimano XTR Crankset < Shimano XT Crankset
6) Sram XX Group < Single speed, 1x9 or 1x8
5) Specialized S-Works Bikes < Titus, Ibis, Turner, Yeti, etc...
4) Crank Brothers Eggbeater 4 Ti < eggbeater SL, Time
3) Thomson Seatpost < Woodaman
2) Thomson Stem < Richey 4-Axis
1) Chris King Headset < Cane Creek

#23 ·
Thomson stuff is bomb proof. I've had the same seat post running completely problem free and unbroken for seven or eight years. The anodizing is going from being clamped in the repair stand, but aside from that it's killer.

Also, if you had ever seen the testing they put their stuff through to get to catastrophic failure and then seen the common competitors relative lack of time in the same rig, I think you'd be impressed.

#25 ·
This is a great thread to really get people pissed off and defensive about what they dropped a lot of $$ on. :p

I think there is a difference between asking if something is overpriced for what it is, as opposed to if it is worth the money. CK headsets and thomson seat posts, for example. They are clearly of a quality that you don't get for a cheaper price. In that sense, they are not overpriced. Are they WORTH that extra cost for the extra quality? That's where I think they come up short.

#26 ·
How about anything with the Ellsworth logo? Or maybe it's just ICT as an efficient pedaling platform?? I rode behind a guy on a smooth fire road the other day. He was on a Truth. He was bouncing up and down like a pogo stick with every pedal stroke, while l was enjoying a very efficient and "non-pogo like" ride on my Epic.

Not spreading the Ellsworth hate...........just sayin' I think maybe their technology (ICT), and wheels, might be slightly overpriced for what you actually get in performance.......

#27 ·
92gli said:
This thread is useless without saying what your actual experience with the product is.

I'll start,

Panaracer greenlite tubes - Not only does performance sell 95g tubes made out of regular, patchable, rubber for only $7.99, but the valves in greenlites are so delicately mounted that you can usually pull them right off a brand new tube with virtually no force. The slightest jarring makes them leak from the valve area.
I had one last for one race but another lasted for over two years. I've had terrible luck with Conti Super Sonic tubes and Michelin latex tubes but some people love them.

The only parts I think are over rated are factory wheelsets. Mtnbiker already explained why.

#28 · (Edited)
9) Chris King Hubs < Hope Pro II
6) Sram XX Group < Single speed, 1x9 or 1x8
1) Chris King Headset < Cane Creek

#29 ·
CupOfJava said:
9) Chris King Hubs < Hope Pro II
6) Sram XX Group < Single speed
1) Chris King Headset < Cane Creek S-3
You have 1,2,3, and 7 upside down. Other than that I kind of agree.
I have King ISO hubs and headset and they have lasted me a long time. The headset is been on 5 frames in the last ten years, it replaces an S-3 that lasted 4 month, and the hubs are on there third set of rims in the last six years. My Thomson stem has lasted through three bikes. My thomson seatpost is new, three years ago. I have heard of plenty of XT cranks bending, XTR no yet. Oh yeah I am clyde who rides hard.

Just because it cost more does not make it overprices, you do get what you paid for with some of those product.

#31 ·
kapusta said:
This is a great thread to really get people pissed off and defensive about what they dropped a lot of $$ on. :p

I think there is a difference between asking if something is overpriced for what it is, as opposed to if it is worth the money. CK headsets and thomson seat posts, for example. They are clearly of a quality that you don't get for a cheaper price. In that sense, they are not overpriced. Are they WORTH that extra cost for the extra quality? That's where I think they come up short.
I'd say that Chris King headsets USE TO be the "must have" headset. Cane Creek is definitely on par with, if not exceeds, Chris King for a fraction of the price. NOT SAYING CK is junk, just not on a level above everyone else. People can spend money however they want, but when cutting costs, a CK headset is the first to go.

I want to make something simple and sell it for tons of $$$. Throw a little bling on it and people will LOVE IT!!

#32 ·
dirthead said:
How about anything with the Ellsworth logo? Or maybe it's just ICT as an efficient pedaling platform?? I rode behind a guy on a smooth fire road the other day. He was on a Truth. He was bouncing up and down like a pogo stick with every pedal stroke, while l was enjoying a very efficient and "non-pogo like" ride on my Epic.

Not spreading the Ellsworth hate...........just sayin' I think maybe their technology (ICT), and wheels, might be slightly overpriced for what you actually get in performance.......
Thats hilarious. Maybe if you actually realized that Spec and Ellsworth employ the same suspension type you'd think otherwise. :rolleyes: Any bike can ride like a pogo, yes even your fabulous epic. :thumbsup:

#33 ·
Jlar said:
Thats hilarious. Maybe if you actually realized that Spec and Ellsworth employ the same suspension type you'd think otherwise. :rolleyes: Any bike can ride like a pogo, yes even your fabulous epic. :thumbsup:
Never said my Epic was fabulous. An actually, they are both WAY overpriced.;)

#34 ·
dirthead said:

I think most boutique bikes are somewhat overpriced. But, I have to disagree with your assessment of Ellsworth / ICT. I currently have a TiRUTH, an Epiphany, a Moment, and a Rogue. Over the years, I've owned and ridden a ton of bikes. The reason I currently own 4 Ellsworth bikes is that I love the way they ride / handle / pedal. I think they pedal very efficiently, but obviously not completely bob-free, especially when standing and pedaling.

#35 ·
CaveGiant said:
Chris King Hub 150x12, only fast engaging 150x12 out there and STRONG.
No they aren't. Hadley has the same engagement speed and I9 has faster, both available in 150x12 (Hadley had one LONG before CK ever came out with 150mm).

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

#36 ·
Some of you guys need to take up a sport that's actually expensive. Like something involving motorcycles...almost anything involving motorcycles. Just so you appreciate how good you have it.

Bicycle parts are not expensive. I am happy to spend good money for good parts. Even happier if those parts have a long tradition of quality and excellent customer service, and are made in a civilized country - i.e., not China.

#37 ·
Even happier if those parts have a long tradition of quality and excellent customer service, and are made in a civilized country - i.e., not China.
AMERICA! WE SPEAK AMERICAN! F-YEAH!

if you think motorcycles are expensive you should try planes.. if you think planes are expensive, try spacecraft.. nuclear reactors.. buying countries etc etc. of course something is always more expensive.

the united states has some of the least civilized people in the world..

#40 ·
88 rex said:
I'd say that Chris King headsets USE TO be the "must have" headset. Cane Creek is definitely on par with, if not exceeds, Chris King for a fraction of the price. NOT SAYING CK is junk, just not on a level above everyone else. People can spend money however they want, but when cutting costs, a CK headset is the first to go.
There was a discussion I read somewhere that Cane Creek owns the patent to the conical split ring that goes into the top race. CK didn't want to pay to use the patent. As a result the Cane Creek is a better designed headset. I'm going from memory here, but the gist of it is that conical, split ring makes the Cane Creek a better headset. And, since I can buy a bunch of Cane Creek headsets to one CK headset, to me, CK headsets are overrated and overpriced.

#41 ·
tomsmoto said:
AMERICA! WE SPEAK AMERICAN! F-YEAH!

if you think motorcycles are expensive you should try planes.. if you think planes are expensive, try spacecraft.. nuclear reactors.. buying countries etc etc. of course something is always more expensive.

the united states has some of the least civilized people in the world..
I'm not American.

Any normal working person can afford a motorcycle - context. Of course I'm talking about adults here.

Civilized = reasonable labour laws and human rights.

I think with this level of simplification even you should be able to understand the point I was trying to make.

#43 ·
the funny thing is that these threads keep popping up. lets cut to the chase:

people whom can afford paying top dollar see nothing wrong with paying those prices.

people whom are pro feel that the end result is worth the cash.

people whom want to be like the jones will pay anything for anything if it makes them look good.

beginners will pay 1k+ for a bike they ride for a month (off and on) because people in this forum said so.

all department store bikes suck, unless its all you can afford and you dont care what anyone says.

out of the 3m pieces sold 4 people think its junk.

the person that said your bike sucks has never ridden before.

you never used that before, so how can you say it sucks?

mtb suck
dh sucks
xc sucks
AM sucks
endurance sucks
any other name you can come up with for riding a bike off road sucks
29'ers suck
26'ers suck
650b sucks
does anyone still ride 24?

road bike people suck and are rude. oh wait half the people that are on mtb's ride road to and are just as rude.

mx bikes have nothing to do with mtb's other then they ride em off road have two tires and....

i still use my murry baja i dont see why yo would want all that new fangle dangled crap anyways

i paid 5k for my bike. beat that!
um i paid 6k for the same bike haha i win
um i bought the same bike on ebay for $200
i bought the same bike signed by elvira for 20k

i have a booger want to see it?

my V-brakes are solid gold
mine are light
v-brakes suck
i have solid gold disc brakes
my v-brakes are lighter
i have the lightest brakes ever made
can you tell me why my brakes broke?
drum brakes are better
where did you buy them?
wal mart
bwahahahaha

#44 ·
nogod said:
the funny thing is that these threads keep popping up. lets cut to the chase:

people whom can afford paying top dollar see nothing wrong with paying those prices.

people whom are pro feel that the end result is worth the cash.

people whom want to be like the jones will pay anything for anything if it makes them look good.

beginners will pay 1k+ for a bike they ride for a month (off and on) because people in this forum said so.

all department store bikes suck, unless its all you can afford and you dont care what anyone says.

out of the 3m pieces sold 4 people think its junk.

the person that said your bike sucks has never ridden before.

you never used that before, so how can you say it sucks?

mtb suck
dh sucks
xc sucks
AM sucks
endurance sucks
any other name you can come up with for riding a bike off road sucks
29'ers suck
26'ers suck
650b sucks
does anyone still ride 24?

road bike people suck and are rude. oh wait half the people that are on mtb's ride road to and are just as rude.

mx bikes have nothing to do with mtb's other then they ride em off road have two tires and....

i still use my murry baja i dont see why yo would want all that new fangle dangled crap anyways

i paid 5k for my bike. beat that!
um i paid 6k for the same bike haha i win
um i bought the same bike on ebay for $200
i bought the same bike signed by elvira for 20k

i have a booger want to see it?

my V-brakes are solid gold
mine are light
v-brakes suck
i have solid gold disc brakes
my v-brakes are lighter
i have the lightest brakes ever made
can you tell me why my brakes broke?
drum brakes are better
where did you buy them?
wal mart
bwahahahaha
well he left out one important thing: Full Suspension sucks. But to change to a postive note: Steel hardtails rule.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.