mtbr member
    May 2007

Titus RX-1 or Specialized SJ FSR Comp

So I have narrowed down my new bike search to the following bikes:

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (The 5" trail bike)
    2008 Titus RX-1 100MM front and rear

Both bikes are going to cost right around $2K, I am just trying to get an opinion on the build of both quality of both of these bikes as well as ride quality. I will be doing a fair amount of cross country racing and endurance events (Laramie Enduro 75 mile race), but also plenty of trail riding. The Specialized bike weighs in at a hair under 28 pounds, while the RX-1 I am still unsure on the weight. My reason to emphasize light weight is that I live in Colorado, so there will be plenty of climbing that this bike will take on. My riding style is definitely more cross country oriented, so I probably won't be doing any huge drops or anything, but I do want a quick handling and comfortable bike that will provide years of worry free riding (kinda like a japanese car) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If the prices are about the same you're probably getting a better deal with the Stumpjumper since it has better components in most areas. However, you can always upgrade components later and the frame and fit are probably more important. The Titus will probably suit your needs better as a race bike, I've tried racing my 08 SJ FSR Comp and it's not ideal. I would say you're better off with a shorter travel bike with different geometry. In the end though, you should just test ride both bikes and see which one feels the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The stumpy is a great bike. I looked at quite a few bikes and picked up an '08 back in September. Might want to search around though, I got my stumpy fsr comp for $1560 + tax. Only mod I made is went with a Thomson setback seat post.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    The Racer X is purely and XC Race bike more similar to the Specialized Epic than the Stumpjumper. In fact if you look at the new 2009 Epics they look almost identical to the Racer X. The Stumpjumper is more of a hybrid XC/AM bike sort of like the Titus Motolite.

If you want to go for a bike that's relatively unique, I'd go with the Titus. Specialized makes some pretty cool stuff but they're pretty common. I have owned both Titus and Specialized and I don't have many complaints about either although I think Specialized is using more and more in house components on their bikes (ala Trek and Cannondale) which to me cheapens it's appeal.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sballs
    The stumpy is a great bike. I looked at quite a few bikes and picked up an '08 back in September. Might want to search around though, I got my stumpy fsr comp for $1560 + tax. Only mod I made is went with a Thomson setback seat post.
    Wow! $1560 is a great deal. The lowest I have found is $1,800. You would think that I could get it for less with this stellar economy we're in.