Thread: Titanium frame?

mtbr member

Titanium frame?

I have too many bikes...I want to know if going titanium will stop my craze of building up new bikes.
    I got back into riding a few years ago and started building different bikes from different travel FS bikes to finally a fully rigid. To my surprise the rigid is just more fun. You have to pick and choose lines vs. just running things over.

I want to build a nice rigid and stop building more rigids. Can people give me feedback on Titanium vs. the other materials? I've read nice things about titanium and just wanted to get your feedback. I've been looking at an on-one Ti 456.

Thanks in advance.

local trails rider
    Titanium does not rust. It is not as brittle as aluminum. Sometimes Ti frames are built very light, making them noodly but I don't think that could be the case with the Ti 456. I am not sure how its geometry works out with typical rigid forks. Might be OK, especially if you don't want your BB high.

I have a heavy steel rigid bike built out of a Chromag Stylus. Geometry is good for me with a 465mm A to C fork. I think a 440mm fork would make it slightly low among the rocks and roots.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Good point regarding the rigid fork. Low BB is ok for me.
    I guess I kind of want a Ti bike because they seem to never go out of fashion. All of the high tech carbon frames seem to go in and out of fashion. I can always sell it one of these days and recover much of the cost, unlike other frames.

Thanks for your input

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You are a bike junkie! No matter what you get you will always lust after something else.
    Stop riding now and take up golf! That is the only cure....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    You are a bike junkie! No matter what you get you will always lust after something else.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Once you build a nice Ti bike, you will start thinking about something else.

mtbr member
    Haha very funny ... Like I never knew that.
    I come here asking for help and look what I get. No real help except from Perttime.

I HATE golf, and you guys are right, I would probably just build something else afterwards.
    Come on, you gotta agree that I would be able to sell the Ti frame for more than the plastic one if I ever got sick of it . At least help this addict decide on Ti vs. something else? Please?...just your real experience on Ti vs. some magazine review

And isn't that why you're on this forum. You're in denial if you say you don't constantly tweak your bike or dream of having a new one.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    That is so true. I have many ti bikes. If you want to go ti rigid then Jeff Jones Spaceframe is the one to go. I can't afford the ti but I'm definitely giving the steel version a good consideration.

mtbr member
    Wow. That Jeff Jones frame really looks awesome and got really good reviews, but I think that's going to be out of my budget as well

T.W.O.
    The steel space frame is not bad but don't expect the same "forgiving" ride. it's still a looker that performs but not ti forgiveness.

mtbr member
    You're correct about one thing for sure - Ti does not go out of fashion. At my local trailhead this week for the regular Wednesday night ride, I saw more Ti than you'd expect in a military jet hangar. I saw a number of Lynskeys and Moots bikes, and they're just clean and classic. Lots of other bikes look somewhat dated after a few years, IMHO.

I'm in a similar boat that ultimately I want a Ti bike - probably two (one for a roadie). My issue with the mountain Ti bikes is that I'm concerned about how flexible the frame may be for a 6'3" 195lb rider. None of my local shops will stock the bikes, although several of them are dealers for the Ti stuff. There's no freaking way I could justify the purchase, but if I had my choice right now, I believe it would be a 22" Moots Mooto-X.

And let's be honest. If you're a gearhead now, the last thing that's going to change it is another bike. That's OK. Embrace it. Be it. And then go build the sweetest Ti bike you can imagine. Then build something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 59Bassman View Post
    You're correct about one thing for sure - Ti does not go out of fashion. At my local trailhead this week for the regular Wednesday night ride, I saw more Ti than you'd expect in a military jet hangar.
    That's hilarious - nice imagery!
    I absolutely agree, I don't think Ti ever goes out of fashion. Every year you see a new plastic frame and next year you want to chase the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by 59Bassman View Post
    And let's be honest. If you're a gearhead now, the last thing that's going to change it is another bike. That's OK. Embrace it. Be it. And then go build the sweetest Ti bike you can imagine. Then build something else.
    I can't help it, I hope getting a nice Ti bike means I can stop

Rider and Wrench
    There is no question on value comparing ti to almost anything else- carbon is nifty and all but who wants a 2-3 year old carbon frame??? yet an old Merlin, moots, Etc... always seems to have value.

I am with you on the flexy concerns- I installed a set of ti bars to give them a try and never hit the trail- they were like an el dente spaghetti noodle! Granted I am a 200+ lb guy but it made me think twice about purchasing an off the shelf ti rig- if it rides great and offers a no rust and slightly lighter build than my Steel rides... maybe but that may mean custom for anyone outside of the "normal" rider box...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    I am with you on the flexy concerns- I installed a set of ti bars to give them a try and never hit the trail- they were like an el dente spaghetti noodle! Granted I am a 200+ lb guy
    That is because most titanium frames and components are designed for light weight. People are obsessed with weight, so light components sell...

There's some stock Ti frames that are designed stronger and stiffer. The mentioned On-One 456 Ti is one and the Ragley Ti is another. At least the Ragley probably needs a fork that is taller than your average XC item.

Titus used to make the "Eleven" Ti hardtail and most reviews noted that it was stiff for a ti frame. I am not sure if their current models are similar.

Custom Ti is not cheap but there are some lower cost alternatives there too if you are willing to go for Russian or Chinese production.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I finally bought a Ti frame from ebay. It's a Cotic Soda (2008), but brand new. The guy never built it up. It's almost done, but the hose routing is a PIA. No clips, so I need to cut the hose and buy a new olive and bleed it. Nice frame though. Thanks for all your input all.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy View Post
    I finally bought a Ti frame from ebay. It's a Cotic Soda (2008), but brand new. The guy never built it up. It's almost done, but the hose routing is a PIA. No clips, so I need to cut the hose and buy a new olive and bleed it. Nice frame though. Thanks for all your input all.
    New bike, no pics???
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    I'll post when it's done. Still trying to get the brake hose done. Waiting for the olive.
    It's also a frankenbike. I just stripped old stuff off my old bike