mtbr member
    Jun 2006

ti softtail frame mfgs, or do I just buy a dean duke?

Hi,

Have spent MANY hours on google looking for ti softtail mtn frames. Seems there are several, but they have from 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 travel. Dean's duke says it has 2 inches. That doesn't sound like much difference, but it's 33% more than a 1-1/2 bike.

Anyone else got this much? Doesn't have to be ti, but that would be nice. I want a frame that will still be here in 20 years.

Feedback on dean bikes? I'm thinking of getting their duke.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Dean Bikes: nice if you can get them

Do a search in the "custom Builders" forum and you will get an eyeful about Dean bikes and their ability to piss people off. I would avoid them unless they happen to have the exact frame you need already built and ready to ship.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Even then, I am reading about frames arriving that are misaligned or have other mfg errors.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'd take a Moots YBB 29er any day over a Dean...the 29er tires will more than compensate for the reduced travel and the craftsmanship is superior.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any word on a 2" softtail? Ti, steel, aluminum, carbon....

I know cannondale has a 4" model, but I'm not too crazy about their front "fork".

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog72
    Any word on a 2" softtail? Ti, steel, aluminum, carbon....

I know cannondale has a 4" model, but I'm not too crazy about their front "fork".

Nothing wrong at all with a "Lefty" .

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you are willing to spend big bucks blacksheep is probably the best looking ti soft tail I have ever seen. I have an older 1 1/4" travel dean duke. It was on hand at dean and i picked it up at a reduced price. I am very happy with it. The blacksheep fastas looks quite similar to my dean.
    The blacksheep highlight ti softail that was exhibited at the 2010 NAHBS blows my mind. It looks to be flawless. 4" of travel, rear triangle can be separated for shipping, the shock is less subject to nasty lateral loads and is tucked out of the way. While I was at NAHBS I think I came back to look at the blacksheep like nine times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, as of now I'm going with the duke. Will be sure to keep everyone informed of how it goes. I have read a _lot_ of bad reviews on dean's customer service. A lot of that was several years ago so I will be able to add some current feedback to it.

Honestly, I would go with most any other mfg, but they max out at 1.5" travel. Dean's 2" has me sold (so far). Barring that.... I would likely go with a Siren Song 55: 1.5" and only $2100. Heck..... Castellano (sp?) has a 1.5" for $995 using aluminum.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Hopefully it will go well for you. If you get into months and months of waiting, try threatening to cancel your order. That has sometimes worked in the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ordered last week and it's supposedly in production already.

Will see soon enough.

Need a bike of some type for the san juan hut to hut ride later this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Nothing wrong at all with a "Lefty" .
    I'll agree with that. I just don't want one personally.

I'm in MS. There's not a cdale dealer in the whole state. Parts/service would be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two
    Hopefully it will go well for you. If you get into months and months of waiting, try threatening to cancel your order. That has sometimes worked in the past.
    I'm giving them the time they quoted plus a reasonable buffer. If they can't hit that, I'm gone.

Will be sure to let you guys know how it works out.

So far, communication via phone and email is excellent. Bike is supposedly about 1/3 built. They are doing a small mod to increase travel to 2-1/4.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm curious of how well an aluminum softail holds up in the long-run.

II'll have a YBB for sale in the near future if you decide not to get the Dean.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Spoke with John on Thurs. We are a go for shipping next week.

So far so good, supposedly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    gotta look at the castelanno silk-ti it's wedled by steve potts. mine is so awesome.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Little too much $ for silkti.

Spoke with dean yesterday. Supposedly we're in the home stretch. They are threading the bb.

If this falls through I will go for the Siren...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No word....

Getting ready to cancel. They have not held up their end of the timeline.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cancelled order. Will see what develops. I figure I will get a call or an email.

Hated to cancel via email, but it provides a "paper trail".

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    {Then} I was *****ing about the long build times and delays, on my custom frame build,
    (I just picked it up one week before Cool24)

{Now}. I've had a chance to work with 4 different bike builders (a very lucky thing indeed), and I MUST comment....

If they are taking there time, it may well be, it just was not Right. And now they are making it perfect!....

just a thought....

Matt

p.s. less than 5 thousands of an inch, (around the entire joint, often times with 2-3 mitre cuts, differing tube diameter, angles, and ovalization) is needed for the root pass (non filler "fusion") in Ti Tig welding. ....... not to mention weld contamination issues....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I got the cancellation email back from them. We're done. It's over.

I'm glad it's resolved, but unhappy about having to start over. Am pretty sure I will head down to the local shop and buy something off the shelf.

This sucks.

mtbr member
    What did they say? Let me guess, they lied when they said they were threading the BB shell? Here is some advice, buy something cheap to tide you over for now. Order a Castellano Silk, wait the 4 months and end up with the best bike you have ever ridden. If you already committed to dropping $3k on a Dean, you will have many months to save up the extra $850 to get a Silk. Sirens look nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog72
    Well, I got the cancellation email back from them. We're done. It's over.

I'm glad it's resolved, but unhappy about having to start over. Am pretty sure I will head down to the local shop and buy something off the shelf.

This sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah.... was in "QC" where they chase/face.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Go Siren!

Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ti softtail frame mfgs, or do I just buy a dean duke?-siren-song-sl-650b_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This will be my final posting in this thread.

I talked a good bit with the folks @ siren. They are really nice. I need a bike sooner than he can deliver. If I had the time to wait and didn't have a high frustration from dealing with dean I would order his new 3.5" travel softtail.

Ended up getting an orbea softtail. Had no idea they made one. Should arrive at the local shop in a few days.

mtbr member
    thanks for the follow ups to the end on this..it's nice to see how thing ultimately turn out.