mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. Which Ti Bike? MOOTS YBB or MERLIN Echo

I am really interested into getting into Titanium frames. I have been wanting a Moots for some time now, but don't have the spare cash. My local bike shop has a 2000ish Merlin Echo for $1,500 with full XTR Chris King. It has the same YBB mechinism as the Moots, but I still feel its just a Moots rip off eventhough that bike I think retailed for around $5,000. Is this a good deal or should I just hold off for a Moots?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Somebody?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The first generation Merlin Echos have a YBB sticker on the softail mechanism. I believe Merlin was given permision to use the YBB softail mechanism. I would choose more on which manufacturer's geo better suits me.

FWIW, the moots softail is a spring and rubber damper on the mono-seatstay with a chainstay that flexes. The Merlin has the same. If you want to change the way it absorbs shock, change to a stiffer/softer spring and/or dampers. There are some softails that have a real air shock in place of the spring/damper. Changing spring rates on these is easier by just adding/removing air. I also think these are meant for heavier riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Moots has such a good reputation, its hard to imagine anyone doing it better. Although I have heard some good things about the Motobecane Fantom Ti- 21.5 lbs!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!