Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Threaded headset to threadless headset conversion

36K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  dru 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new here and a noob at building my first mountain bike. I bought a fairly cheap mountain bike which is all I can afford and it has a threaded quill and I removed the quill which is stamped 25.4 on it. I want to convert the headset to threadless and change the suspension fork on it any ideas what I have to do. thanks for your help.

changed pedals/ seat/ painted standard fork white and painted rims black. and changed brake colour cables. :)
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim

here is where I bought the bike from: Buy Vertigo Eiger 26" Dual Suspension Adult Mountain Bike, Men?s - 18" Frame from our Dual Suspension Bikes range - Tesco.com

See less See more
#2 ·
No current suspension fork will fit, leaving you with very slim pickings for vintage parts that will fit. You would be better off using what you have and saving the money to put towards the next bike purchase imho.

#5 ·
I beg to differ with my fellow posters here with regard to 1 1/8. If your stem has 25.4 on it you should have a 1 1/8 threaded steerer on that bike. I know this because my wife's bike (mid 90s Rocky) has a 1 1/8 threaded steerer. 1" steerers will have a quill stem stamped 22.5 on them (I have one of these too).

Best thing to do to confirm is to measure the top of the threaded steerer tube on the bike confirming that it measures 28.6 mm O.D.

If so, you can pick up a different fork and headset although as others have posted it isn't really worth doing so.

Drew

#12 ·
well it's all I can afford,
I beg to differ. A second-hand bike from a reputable manufacturer would have been better. In the States, those are easily available in thift stores, bike co-ops, and through ebay or craigslist. It can't be that different across the Pond. At low price points, rigid is ALWAYS better than cheap suspension.

I have a 1 1/8 suspension fork my friend gave me and a threadless headset and stem is not much, as for the installation tools I looked on youtube and can make my own one. :)
Sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck with the project.

#10 ·
If you buy that fork for 40 pounds, plus 9 pounds for shipping and another 30-50 pounds for installation, you would be spending over half the cost of the bike to get something that might not be much better. I would save my money.

Where do you want to ride? The occasional bridleway? Trail centers? I don't want to sound like a dck but you can't buy a real MTB at a supermarket. Those bikes are made to be ridden on the street but look like they could do more.

#11 ·
If you buy that fork for 40 pounds, plus 9 pounds for shipping and another 30-50 pounds for installation, you would be spending over half the cost of the bike to get something that might not be much better. I would save my money.

Where do you want to ride? The occasional bridleway? Trail centers? I don't want to sound like a dck but you can't buy a real MTB at a supermarket. Those bikes are made to be ridden on the street but look like they could do more.
I just ride around parks and we have a little bmx/mtb mud tracks, I also use it for travelling to school sometimes. It is threaded and 15mm longer than the stock fork I have so I am assuming I just put the crown race on and add spacers to it secure it with the lock nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.