mtbr member
    I had a Scott Octane with an adjustable HT, pretty sure they're still doing that on the Gambler frame too.
    Basically you can have two head angles so it's not really an eccentric but it's what you're thinking....I think
    Bikes=Sanity

I have red hair

New question here. The thoughts that run through my head...

So I was sitting here yesterday staring at mtbr, and a thought ran through my head: an eccentric headset/headtube and here's what I came up with:

The Pros:

1) You could adjust the offest of your fork. This would enable to dial in the handling characteristics and would eliminate riders that were skeptical about buying the bike because of the offset of the fork (ahem, Gary Fisher )

2) You could swap forks out and not have your bike handling extremely differently. Say you wanted to ride your bike rigid for a ride, but then for the next ride, you wanted a squishy in the front (I know people don't generally swap forks for each ride, but it's just to make a point). An EHT would allow you to rotate the steerer forward or backward to achieve the same amount of offset as the previous fork, "eliminating" handling differences.

The Cons:

1) Reliability?? It would seem that you might encounter the same problems with an EHT that you would with an EBB (i.e. creaking, coming loose, etc), some of which would be more catastrophic if encountered in the HT instead of the BB (fork coming loose and spinning around while bombing downhill )

2) Price?? Ok so obviously it would be expensive at first, but I wanted to even out the Pros and the Cons, so as to not sway the discussion one way or another...

Conclusion:

Has anyone tried this before?? Is this plausible?? Or even worthwhile?? Or does it not even make sense?? Any input would be awesome

And no, this isn't an April Fool's joke...

I have red hair
    Yeah, I think that's what I was thinking

After further consideration, I realized that an eccentric wouldn't really work, since it works in a circular motion, and you'd have trouble making sure the fork was straight. An adjustable HT (one that allows the fork to move forward and backward) make a lot more sense.