mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Upset Thoughts on frame damage

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have a prob and need some opnions. I just purchased a very nice bike from the classified adds here. It was shipped using Fedex and was damaged during shipping. The box was punctured and the down tube was gouged. It took the paint off and left heavy scratches in the tube. If you run your finger along the tube it definatly has some material missing. The gouge is located on the left side and about 2/3 the way down the tube. It is just under 1/2 inch in size and the best I can measure it is 0.025" deep.

Is this going to weaken the structural integrity, or shorten the life of the frame? I dont take BIG drops or jumps, just mostly xc type trail ridding. What would be the recomendations on this subject? If it were done on the trail I would just ride it and watch it. Where it was done in shipping and must of been a pretty good shot to remove this much material it just pisses me off.
    I would like to know if it is worth dealing with the customer service @ Fedex. Also if anyone has any recomendations on dealing with Fedex that would be appreciated as well.

Last edited by jbell; 05-29-2011 at 05:43 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Need pics to better help you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would like to but Im not sure how. Are there any threads on this?
    I pulled my head out of my ass and figured it out! Pics in original post.
    Last edited by jbell; 05-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jbell;8095326]Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have a prob and need some opnions. I just purchased a very nice bike from the classified adds here. It was shipped using Fedex and was damaged during shipping. The box was punctured and the down tube was gouged. It took the paint off and left heavy scratches in the tube. If you run your finger along the tube it definatly has some material missing. The gouge is located on the left side and about 2/3 the way down the tube. It is just under 1/2 inch in size and the best I can measure it is 0.025" deep.

Is this going to weaken the structural integrity, or shorten the life of the frame? I dont take BIG drops or jumps, just mostly xc type trail ridding. What would be the recomendations on this subject? If it were done on the trail I would just ride it and watch it. Where it was done in shipping and must of been a pretty good shot to remove this much material it just pisses me off.
    I would like to know if it is worth dealing with the customer service @ Fedex. Also if anyone has any recomendations on dealing with Fedex that would be appreciated as well.

Hey there friend,

Immediately send it back to FEDEX. Call, write, and email FEDEX about their lousy delivery problem Research your area for others who have had damaged delivered goods from FEDEX.
    Contact the BBB concerning this matter immediately! Don't hesitate! Contact a lawyer and begin the law suit instantly, if FEDEX shrugs their shoulders about it!

Hopefully, you had insurance on a valuable item while it's being delivered by strangers...

Good Luck!

PS.

What's your frame material anyway?
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have a prob and need some opnions. I just purchased a very nice bike from the classified adds here. It was shipped using Fedex and was damaged during shipping. The box was punctured and the down tube was gouged. It took the paint off and left heavy scratches in the tube. If you run your finger along the tube it definatly has some material missing. The gouge is located on the left side and about 2/3 the way down the tube. It is just under 1/2 inch in size and the best I can measure it is 0.025" deep.

Open a claim with Fedex as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I will do, thanks all.

monster member

Save the box also

If you still have the box, take pics of that also. Or, even try to put it all back in the box just as you received it and then take pics.

That's a nice frame. To any others purchasing things like this, anything large, delicate, and with high replacement value is worthwhile to get shipping insurance on. At least get insurance on the amount you paid, but better yet get it on the replacement value.
    Have fun!

Hi.
    As everyone else has said, contact FedEx immediately.

As far as your other question - I do not believe an abrasion like that would affect the strength of the frame. It's a minor deflection of the tubing, and usually small dents on the downtube like that don't result in catastrophic failures.

I bought a bike from eBay and had a similar result - the seller packaged the wheel with cassette still on it, and the cassette rubbed a pretty good gouge in the down tube (very similar to yours.) I made the seller refund a chunk of the money, and have been riding the frame since (over 2 years ago.)

monster member

Agreed

Jmartino brought the thread back to point...

I agree. The dent doesn't look so bad to me that you shouldn't trust riding it, based on my experience abusing a Specialized frame to the point of similar dents.

Still a shame to have that on a Turner frame though... it's definitely worthwhile to see what FedEx will do for you.

(It's not unusual for them to tell you that it wasn't shipped with proper protection against standard shipping practices, so you may not have much argument against that.)
    Have fun!