mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Is there an alternative to using an integrated headset?

I recently purchased a frame online, but found that it is designed for an integrated headset. Like Chris King, I absolutely despise this new design trend in bikes.

I can return the frame if need be, but I'd like to keep it if at all possible--i.e. if there's a way to avoid using an integrated headset.

Does any company make a proper headset (i.e. one that uses bearing cups) that can be fitted into a frame designed for integrated headsets?

Or is there no such product?

Former Bike Wrench
    Are you sure it's not a Zero Stack...which is simply a recessed headset that still uses cups. Chris King even makes a headset for this style.

mtbr member
    I have two Giants and have looked into the headset issue. I dont think there are any alternatives. Chris King looked into coming out with an integrated headset but it never went into production. I have had problems with one of my bikes and getting the right "load" on it. But I did a fork swap and it appears to be more fork related than headset. I think the Chris King solution of tighten the headset with lots of grease is about right for the one bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    I have two Giants and have looked into the headset issue. I dont think there are any alternatives. Chris King looked into coming out with an integrated headset but it never went into production. I have had problems with one of my bikes and getting the right "load" on it. But I did a fork swap and it appears to be more fork related than headset. I think the Chris King solution of tighten the headset with lots of grease is about right for the one bike.

I don't think Chris King ever looked into making integrated headsets. They were against the concept from the get-go. And personally, I agree with them completely. It's an utterly moronic design.

It seems as though a lot of frame manufacturers use the FSA integrated headset, so it seems like it'd be possible for someone to come out with a zero-stack headset (or even a standard headset) whose bearing cups fit into the place where the FSA headset would go.