Thread: Tax Refund bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Tax Refund bike

I am anticipating my tax refund and getting a new bike and I am looking for advice since I rarely buy a bike and I don't keep up with the latest tech trends etc. I'd like to keep it around 2 grand but depending on the size of that check I may go up to 3.

I like riding flowy single track trails. I live in the front range of colorado and I am pretty short 5'7" and about 155 lbs. My last bike is a 2004 rocky mountain slayer and I'd like to stay in that category.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Whats a tax refund?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    it all depends on how much you're getting back honestly. a difference of a couple hundred bucks can be a huge difference in quality...especially if you're going full suspension

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noname87scr View Post
    it all depends on how much you're getting back honestly. a difference of a couple hundred bucks can be a huge difference in quality...especially if you're going full suspension
    Ok, I have some money to spend but I could spend more depending on how much my refund is. Last year I got back 2500. So my budget is around 2000-3000. Basically I am looking at advice for which bike to buy. Or what are some good deals that are out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Tax Refund bike

There really aren't any bad choices in your price range. Take a look at the specialized stumpjumper, trek fuel ex, and Sant Cruz Blur. The Ibis Mojo special with X-fusion suspension at $2750 is an excellent value if you can find one.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member

Tax Refund bike

Diamond Back Sortie Comp

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Thanks to a mistake in my taxes I am getting 4500 back. I don't want to blow it all on a bike. But I will spend most of it. I was looking in my local shop and they were recommending the TREK RUMBLEFISH. Anyone have any thoughts on these? THere aren't many reviews of them on this site.

I was also thinking of teh diamondback as well since I have a prodeal on them at work. However, no where around here sells them so I can't try them out.

mtbr member
    Checkout the new slayers! Incredible bikes

As a geneal rule i would says between 2500$ and 3000$ will ive ou the most bang for the buck... Thats for all brands of bikes
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Would you go to a car dealer and ask them which car you should buy and plop down the cash based on their recommendation? Bike shops are the same. Go test ride a bunch of bikes. There are not many bad bikes out there but you can find a few to stay away from.

Best bet is to figure out what you like and don't like. Get a short list going and then people can give you any positive or neg feedba k about what's on your list. They can also recommend similar bikes that you should try.

But, some brands Most ppl really like... specialized, Santa Cruz, Ibis, giant, yeti, Pivot, Rocky Mtn, etc.- see my point. Lots of good bikes there will always be a "better" bike out there; newer, better components, new suspension design, new geometry trend.