mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Tall starter bike

I've been looking at mountain bikes lately and wondering if I should be looking at bikes with 29 inch wheels or 26inch. I'm 17 years old, 140#, and 6' 2" (projected to be 6' 8"). I was looking into a 29er but all my LBS caries is a GT peace 9er and a specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 29. I don't really want a single speed, but the specialized is out of my price range ($400-$600, $700max). Any ideas.

Former Bike Wrench
    Specialized has a Hardrock Sport Disc 29 out as a 2010 model for $580...your LBS should have no issue ordering it for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    If you are pretty sure you are going to be growing a few more inches Giant has the Rincon is a 24" frame. The Specialized 29er with the 23" inch frame looks pretty attractive. If you have really long legs you might be able to get by with a 21 inch frame and simply raise the seat as you grow taller. The Gary Fisher Wahoo might also be worth taking a look at. Although it only goes to 21 inches it has a 25 inch top tube which is pretty long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The big question is to go with 29 or 29 inch wheels. Would I get a better frame fit with a 29er over a 26er with the cost of compatibility? Thanks for the help thus far.