mtbr member
    May 2017

Taking off 3rd chainring

Hey all,

im fairly new to biking and loving it. I have. 2014 kona precept. I want to take off the 3rd chainring. How do I deal with this? What all do I need to make it possible? Thank you. I'm hoping to learn as I read through and ask questions.

Cheers!

Attached is a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking off 3rd chainring-img_7463.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I can't tell if those are rivets or bolt heads on the chain ring....if they are bolt heads then get the proper allen key or whatever and unbolt them. If it is rivets, then you'll have to drill them out, but make sure you look closely and don't drill out the wrong rivets.

I drilled out my rivets on my 3rd chainring on my trek marlin 7 to convert it to a 1x for cheap, picked up a chain guide on amazon for $30....works well.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks. Do I need to buy any additional things? Could I just take the 3rd off and call it good? Or would I need to buy something such as a guard or a guide?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBot View Post
    Thanks. Do I need to buy any additional things? Could I just take the 3rd off and call it good? Or would I need to buy something such as a guard or a guide?
    If you don't get a chain guide you're going to drop your chain alot due to it not being a narrow wide chainring setup which retains the chain much better.

Just align the chain guide that you get to the middle ring 1-2mm above the chain and make sure it clears properly....also you can shorten your chain as well if you remove the front mech and 3rd ring to help retention.

Cycologist
    Isn't a chain guide going to prevent it from shifting onto the 2nd chainring???

What are you going to do with your shifter? I believe some of them can be switched to work 2 or 3, do some research. Otherwise you'll need to change the stops so that you don't shift it to the missing third ring.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Seems to be 5/6 mm hex bolts. Don't use the big ring? Replace with a bash guard. That way you won't need shorter chainring bolts. Then adjust the front der. limit screw so you won't over shift.

mtbr member
    You need 4 short chainring bolts. That's it.

IH, HYHT.
    You can use a bash ring in place of the large ring but short bolts are the cheaper solution. If your shifters aren't "switchable" use the shifting positions that normally shift between the two outer rings and adjust your outer limit screw to keep the chain in place when you're shifting up. You'll also want to lower the front der to about 3mm above the middle chain ring teeth (with the der in the middle ring position).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

turtles make me hot
    Just get the shorter bolts to hold only the middle ring to the crank arm. Then adjust the stop on the derailleur so it doesn't take the chain off the ring and try to put it where there used to be a ring.
    I did exactly this to one of my bikes and rode it forever. It worked flawlessly.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Isn't a chain guide going to prevent it from shifting onto the 2nd chainring???

What are you going to do with your shifter?
    I assumed he wanted to convert it to 1x for cheap which is what I did. I just removed my front shifter / mech and used a chain guide instead of buying a new bb/nw chainring. I don't use the small ring....but it is still there..

MTB B'dos
    As has been said, no matter what, you'll need to adjust the HIGH Limit screw to stop the derailleur from being able to shift into the 3rd position, which is very easy to do, just follow the instructions in the link.

As to the best way to do this, I'd suggest removing the big ring and replacing with a bash, this does 2 things, first it stops over shifting in case your don't get the limit screws adjusted perfectly and protects the ring when you go bashing over stuff, however, the cheapest way would be just to buy shorter chainring bolts and just remove the big ring - have run setups like this for yeasr without issue. If you're handy with tools, you could check with your local shop to see if they have any "dead" 36t rings and then just cut/grind the teeth off to make a bash guard from it - I have done this numerous times, they work well and don't look too bad.

Taking off 3rd chainring-p1060716.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

IH, HYHT.
    Could just grind down your current outer chainring too.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

MTB B'dos
    That's what I did with the chainring in the photo, but that's because I was running a 38t ring, so cutting the teeth off a 42/44 brings it down to a nice size for a 38t ring, for a 32t you'd want an old 36t or loose the clearance you would gain going to the 32 - was one of the nice things when I made the switch to 2x, lots more clearance for going over stuff without hitting the chainring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Could just grind down your current outer chainring too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??