Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Superlight Rigid Climber Frame Suggestions

Hello,

I am going to build a rigid 26er for the purpose of having a really light bike for the hill climb race this year at Winter Park. I want to use the the carbon 26er fork that Nasbar sells, so I will need to find a non-suspension corrected geometry frame with a 1-1/8 headset.

Does anybody have any suggestions on really light non-suspension corrected geometry frames with a 1-1/8 headset?

Thanks,

M
    Last edited by flipsidem; 04-17-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    1995 Cannondale M2000 or M900 (same frame)
    3lbs in the 18" size and stiff, stiff, stiff. Great frames and can be found for almost nothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You'll find a number of good frames designed for rigid forks from the 90's. Mine is a Diamondback Axis TT titanium frame. These titanium bikes will probably last forever, and they have a nice ride and are light. Cantilevers or V-brakes are also lighter than disks.

There are also some nice aluminum bikes from that era, like Klein and Cannondale, although alumimum does have a limited number of fatigue cycles. The Al bikes will be stiffer than the ti bikes, so they might be better for pure climbing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superlight Ridgid Climber Frame Suggestions-dbrrigid.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had Cannondale in the back of my mind for some reason. This will definitely be a V brake rig, maybe even only a rear. I haven't decided between SS and 1X9, but I think I am leaning towards 1X9. The main challenge I am seeing with locating a frame is getting one that has a 1-1/8 headset, but doesn't have a suspension fork. I assume that the bikes with the suspension forks all have the suspension corrected geometry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Diamondback pictured above has a 1-1/8 threadless head tube. It is a 1994.

mtbr member
    I didn't see the picture of your bike until after I posted last. That is a really clean looking bike. I like the blue anodized parts, nice touch.

mtbr member
    Go for a carbon HT.
    Update on my ebay carbon hardtail
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member

Why why why why......

MC Shawn,

Why did you have to lead me to that thread? Now I am actually picturing myself on a shiny black carbon hard tail. Why why why?

Thanks,

M

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas. I have only been able to locate one M2000/M900 so far, and the guy selling it on ebay is really proud of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipsidem
    MC Shawn,

Why did you have to lead me to that thread? Now I am actually picturing myself on a shiny black carbon hard tail. Why why why?

Thanks,

M
    It's your destiny my friend, embrace it! lol!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    That's a rebranded frame you can get off of Ebay, but you'll pay twice as much because it has a name on it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    sette reken is a good cheap choice

enjoying the scenery
    Those carbon frames are tempting. Also look at the late '90's Treks (930, 970, 7000z) The 9xx series were made with True Temper steel, the 7000 from an Easton alloy. I would think most hardtails would work with a 80-100mm fork (Suspension) . That Nashbar with a 385 A-C seems pretty small, I am using the Mosso and it is 413 A-C. Ride is awesome.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    OK, I bought a Surly 1x1 fork off craigslist thinking that it would work with the '03 Jamis Dakota frame that I already have. I measured the A2C on the Manitou Skareb Comp that is on the Dakota now, and it looks like the A2C on the Surly 1x1 is going to be about 30mm shorter. I am a little worried that the bike is going to be all kinds of twitchy. The Surly 1x1 is about 415mm A2C and the Manitou Skareb Comp is about 445mm A2C.

mtbr member

Mosso????

Thanks for the reply. I went and looked at those Mosso forks on eBay. I assume you have an aluminium version since it is 413 A2C. Is the frame you have that on one with suspension corrected geometry? If so, what size suspension fork did the Mosso replace? Also, how does an aluminium fork feel? Have you chipped any teeth?

mtbr member
    I would stay away from the Mosso stuff.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 04-19-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    That's a rebranded frame you can get off of Ebay, but you'll pay twice as much because it has a name on it.

Rebranded what?

mtbr member
    Rebranded what?
    It's the same frame, you can buy straight from the factory, unpainted and a lot cheaper.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    It's the same frame, you can buy straight from the factory, unpainted and a lot cheaper.

So, what your saing is that the On_One frame is a catalog frame? On-One does not have it made to their specifications? The same frame as one that can be purchased on evilbay?

mtbr member
    I can't find an example of that one on Ebay, right now. Models come and go there. But, I have seen that same frame there before. I don't remember the specs that it had. But the factory will make it to a companies specs, within reason, if you're willing to buy a minimum amount of them. Although, most of the Ebay frames, for whatever reason, do tend to be on the short side as far as TT goes. I have seen other companies, or in this case you could call them middle men, sell the same frame that I have, for like $1800 instead of the $300 that I paid.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

AZ
    banned
    Is the On-One a e-bay frame?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by danec99
    Also look at the late '90's Treks (930, 970, 7000z) The 9xx series were made with True Temper steel, the 7000 from an Easton alloy.
    The 9xx were not light, my 1996 970 frame in 19.5" weighed 4.75lbs. Also the bonded Trek aluminum frames were heavy as well. Even with Easton tubing they exceeded 4 lbs for a 19.5" frame.

AZ
    banned
    Is the On-One a e-bay frame?

(crickets) I guess not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    (crickets) I guess not.
    I'm not sure exactly what you were asking, but my understanding is that On One does have frames made specifically for them. That doesn't mean all their frames are made specifically for them, but certainly some of them are. The On One Inbred 456, for example has rather unique geometry, and comes in both steel and carbon. So that would lead me to believe that they at least have some frames in both materials custom manufactured to their specs.

Again, this doesn't mean that the other frame in question is or is not just a rebranded frame, only that On One does actually engineer at least some of their frames.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast