mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Suggestions on new bike buy

Hello everyone, newbie to the site. Ran across it thru a search engine and seemed like a good place to get some ideas and suggestions. I have always enjoyed riding my bike. My wife bought a new bike a couple of years ago and we started riding together. The bike I have now, has just about ran its course. It is a cheap Royce Union that I got when I was 14 (I'm 30 now), so it has seen a lot of miles. Now I need a new bike or a nice used one.

I'd like to keep my budget under $200. We mostly just ride around town but plan on getting into trail riding. She has a mountain bike, so I would like to get another bike that I can ride around town and on the trails.

I know $200 isn't much, and the better bikes will not be possible. What is maybe a good brand I can search for or style to go after? If you need anymore details of what I am wanting, just ask.

Thank you in advance!

CS2
    mtbr member
    If I remember Royce was a road bike. You might want to look at used bikes. Good luck.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    There is the Genesis 29er from Walmart that you might want to try, but I am unsure about price. it will almost certainly be junk, but that is it for new under $200. You might be able to find used bikes from the 1990s around or under $200, but no recent bike in good shape will cost $200.
    If I were you I would save up my pennies and buy a $800 new bike.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would check craigslist, or ebay.

You might be able to pick up a 4-6yr old trek, cannondale or specialized for that price.
    it will not be the top of the line but you know that those bikes will last forever.

check the components too. If the break sticks, or gear is not changing, run away...