mtbr member

Suggestions on frames; Ti or Carbon?

Hello all! I am looking at building a nice, light hardtail, just for ridding easy dirt roads, not for trails or singletrack difficult courses. I have two bad back discs, I've been ridding FS since 2003, and presently am ridding a Maverick Durance loving my dual suspension; i.e. my back doesnt hurt!

The two bikes I am looking at are: Motobecane Fly (Ti frame) and an Orbea Alma Team (carbon fiber). I'm needing a frame that has some "give" due to my bad back. Some other bikes I thought of were Ti soft tails but their prices are waaay more than I can afford.
    For me the cheapest is the Motobecane as they will be selling them for $1,000 with a Sid fork!! The Orbea frame only goes for $1,400, no fork. I have a Maverick SC32 single crown that I would probaly mount on the Motobecane or the Alma.
    I'd apreciate any input on this topic, please? Thanks so much for whatever experience or info out there!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For a bad back I honestly don't know if a hardtail by itself can curtail back pain. I would suggest a suspension post, they add only 200 grams or a fraction more.

That said, I have Ti bikes and I would attest to their springy traits. I had a carbon fiber roadbike way back when they first came out. The CF bike was very quiet on pavement muffling out road irregularities but to me had a dead feel. Technology has marched on since then, I would think they have improved in ride quality now. If what you want is a little *give*, a material that is resilient or has this property is what you are looking for.

Anyway, I like Ti's maintenance-free traits, springy ride and durability. Maybe somebody with a CF mountainbike can chime in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    double post.. sorry
    Last edited by older guy; 09-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    I would go with the suspension seat post in additon to either a carbon or Ti frame. I have a carbon frame and I think if I had a bad back and was looking at really changing the ride I would go to a full suspension bike like the Anthem or Epic. If you want to spend a little less money on a carbon frame Price Point has been offering two different carbon frames for under $600. Thats probably the way I would go.

Singletrack Slayer
    I would go for a ti 29er like a Lynskey; or a steel 29er for a cheaper budget; and that should help smooth things out for your back.

mbtr member
    Curing back pain is a fit thing, not a frame material thing. Since the alma only comes in one size and you can't test ride the motobecane, i'd say neither one is a very good choice.