mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Suggest All Steel Zero Suspension for Super Clydesdale.

Folks,

Newbie here.

Had a medical issue that put a shit of weight on. Im on my way back down and would like to find bike to ride at lake, bike path and local trails for weight loss.

Im thinking Im way to heavy for a suspension fork, so solid front and end would be best.

I have a 15 year old rock hopper and the front suspension just collapses under my weight.

Was looking at the Niner ROS plus, but I guess they don't make them anymore and Im having a hard time finding an XL. Jensen only has a L.

Looking at all options. Hoping your experience and recommendations can help me find something as Im hiking a bunch now and want to get on the bike for exercise.

Thank you.

6'4" / 350

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Kona Unit? They come singlespeed but they are a great value and it wouldn't cost much to add some gears if needed

mtbr member
    If money isn't really a huge concern, I'd look into one of these:

Krampus | Bikes | Surly Bikes

29+ bikes just seem big. Surly builds 'em pretty stout as well.

The one thing I'd recommend looking into is from the way they come is changing the tires. I'd throw 29x3 Knards on there if you are going to do commuting type stuff. The Dirt Wizards are pretty aggressive tires that are good for trails, but Knards are good all around.

If the budget is tighter, look into the Marin Pine Mountain.

http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/d...-pine-mountain

Not sure how strong they are, but they are pretty affordable.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would look at a Surly Karate Monkey too. The 29+ can be a bit much to spin around, but a normal 29er has lots of versatility. The newest version has a few nice features, but the older model will still be a lot of fun, so a used bike will be very reasonable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks guys, this is great info and is appreciated. I am reading about 27.5, 27.5+, 29, 29+ wheels. Does one standout as best for my application? Like are 27.5's stronger cause they are smaller than 29's?

mtbr member
    27.5 should be a touch stronger, but honestly, unless you are buying the highest end stuff, a decent 29 enduro rim could be much stronger than a cheap 27.5 rim.

+ is just the tire size although a lot of times the rims will be wider on plus bikes, which generally makes them stronger.

The + will be nice for trails and ride quality seen as how you want a rigid bike.

I was hesitant to recommend a Karate Monkey because I have one and the fork is pretty flexy, and so is the frame. Surly beefed up the tubing on the Krampus because the tires are meant to take more of the vibration. This is why I recommended the Krampus. I wouldn't hesitate to contact Surly regarding your concerns. They are very responsive and would probably have a good recommendation based on what would be the best at your weight.

If you were <250, I'd say KM is a great bike. But at 100lbs more, I'd look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks brother, Im going to email them!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    Kona Unit? They come singlespeed but they are a great value and it wouldn't cost much to add some gears if needed
    Thank you, Im gonna check those out too!

mtbr member
    I realized that the Krampus lists a max weight for rider in its frame sheet of 300lb. Some bikes they don't list, but I believe bikes like the KM are rated for less. The max I saw for any listed was 300.

meatier showers
    A few weeks ago I was on a trailwork project, there was a guy there who had a Surly Ice Cream Truck with 29+ wheels in it. Looked like a really fun bike and he said he loved it. I remember how stout that bike looked and yet how capable with the Plus 29ers. Made me want one. Just a thought.
    =D
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    I realized that the Krampus lists a max weight for rider in its frame sheet of 300lb. Some bikes they don't list, but I believe bikes like the KM are rated for less. The max I saw for any listed was 300.
    I got an email back from Surly saying Im good to go for 300+. Just that the bike will wear out faster....

mtbr member
    Excellent.

Just another thought, if you don't plan on doing a ton of serious trail riding, you might want to look into another bike Surly makes, the Ogre.

Ogre | Bikes | Surly Bikes

It's kind of like a Karate Monkey, but with a beefed up frame for haulin' and touring, and a component spec that is more conducive to road, bike paths, dirt roads and a little single track.

mtbr member
    Surly stuff is pretty bomb-proof. can't go wrong with that. get it built up strong and have the spoke tension checked from time to time. as you lose weight, you'll put less strain on it and it should last you a long time.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I ended up finding a new Niner ROS 9+

Really nice ride so far

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thank you to everyone who contributed. Appreciate the advice.