mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Sturdy frames under 200.

I'm looking for a sturdy frame in 20-21" size with all mountain-ish geometry for under 200 bucks but my search is coming up short. Should I risk it with a china frame like a Motobecane? I am NOT picky at all about weight, so that doesn't matter. Should I risk it with a China frame like this motobecane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOTOBECANE-A...d=p3286.c0.m14

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Motobecane are OK frames,but I like these better.....

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lloy-Frame.htm

A lot cheaper and Sette is well liked by people that own them.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...0_1527crx.aspx

mtbr member
    The Reken isn't exactly a all mountain bike frame
    , I suppose if you ran the max 100mm front fork and the Max 2.3 inch tire you could totally ride it off just about anything. Since you would be saving so much on the frame you could get a better fork, or wheels to suit the riding you plan on doing. I do like to push the Sette, but that Motobecane frame looks pretty good also, and is a bit beefier in the back end than the Reken. Then again the market that Motobecane frame as a free ride SS frame, so again not exactly a all mountain frame. Honestly I think you would be fine either frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Chinese/tawain frames are ok, it what 99% of the worlds rides on.

Cheap, sturdy, and heavy describes a dirt jumping frame, probably a steel one.

Downhill fan
    I can sell you a good used Raleigh M60 20" bike frame for alot cheaper! Its very beefy, strong & has the setup for disc brakes on the rear of the frame! Or, pay 200+ for a new one. Just thought I would offer it up to see if it helps your budget.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

Singletrack Slayer
    There is no real "risk" on a Asian made frames. That is 99.5% of bikes sold in the USA. Lifetime warranties on them , strong, durbable, and for $200 bucks that is all you will find. I would look at CL or EBay for a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    The Reken isn't exactly a all mountain bike frame
    , I suppose if you ran the max 100mm front fork and the Max 2.3 inch tire you could totally ride it off just about anything. Since you would be saving so much on the frame you could get a better fork, or wheels to suit the riding you plan on doing. I do like to push the Sette, but that Motobecane frame looks pretty good also, and is a bit beefier in the back end than the Reken. Then again the market that Motobecane frame as a free ride SS frame, so again not exactly a all mountain frame. Honestly I think you would be fine either frame.
    The Reken is marketed as a MTN frame, not XC. Its a 4.5 lb frame which is way heavy for a XC frame. They RECOMMEND 80-100mm fork. They don't say it can't handle more. Trust me, it can run up to about 120mm.
    8 is great

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakanX
    The Reken is marketed as a MTN frame, not XC. Its a 4.5 lb frame which is way heavy for a XC frame. They RECOMMEND 80-100mm fork. They don't say it can't handle more. Trust me, it can run up to about 120mm.
    I'm not trusting my body to you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    I'm not trusting my body to you.
    I ride mine with my TALAS fully extended to 125mm. This gives it about 69.5 degree head tube angle and 12 inches of BB height approximately. Handles like a f&%in dream, I kid you not. Dialed down to anything less than 100mm it feels goofy and innapropriate. As far as "trusting" your body to me. I ride pretty hard and fast, I'll make sure I let you know if i ever crack the frame

On the flip side, I came from an older Trek6000 frame, and when I used any more than 100mm of travel on that bike, it just felt wrong.
    8 is great

mtbr member
    I ride mine with my TALAS fully extended to 125mm. This gives it about 69.5 degree head tube angle and 12 inches of BB height approximately. Handles like a f&%in dream, I kid you not. Dialed down to anything less than 100mm it feels goofy and innapropriate. As far as "trusting" your body to me. I ride pretty hard and fast, I'll make sure I let you know if i ever crack the frame

On the flip side, I came from an older Trek6000 frame, and when I used any more than 100mm of travel on that bike, it just felt wrong.
    Wow, that must be a really low BB when using an 80mm fork!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ahhhhhhh, I almost pulled the trigger on that 08 Ibex (69.99+20 shipping and comes with headset!) but it's out ot stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Wow, that must be a really low BB when using an 80mm fork!
    Hell yeah. I believe its around 11 inches or something. When I am measuring, I am going to the middle of the BB spindle too..not the bottom of shell. I assume this is correct. I went back onto pricepoint's pages and browsed the frames again. They recommend 80-100mm for just about all of the frames they sell regardless of geometry. I think they figure that giving people the nod for more travel will mean the people will huck more crap and need more replacement frames...lol.
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Hell yeah. I believe its around 11 inches or something. When I am measuring, I am going to the middle of the BB spindle too..not the bottom of shell. I assume this is correct. I went back onto pricepoint's pages and browsed the frames again. They recommend 80-100mm for just about all of the frames they sell regardless of geometry. I think they figure that giving people the nod for more travel will mean the people will huck more crap and need more replacement frames...lol.
    Yep, thats the correct way to measure. My hardtail has almost a 13" bb height and I like it too for various reasons. A bike as low as yours must feel great in the turns though

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Save up a few more dollars and get this....

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item469.htm

ang
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone out there has a Taiwan brand MOSSO full suspension bike? Any comment?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    Any comment?
    Sure. You bumped up an almost 2 year old thread with a question of your own that is not helping the OP.

Start a new thread.

mtbr member
    Dang I just read the whole thing b4 I realized it was 2 years old. I was going over frames in my head and everything and I get to the end and its 2 years old lol