My Member Rides a MTB

Stumpjumper Disc or Big Sur Disc?

This is a follow-up to my previous thread here: Upgrading to a better HT!. I decided to go ahead and spend more than I had planned on spending to get a good hardtail. I've narrowed the choices down to a 2005 Gary Fisher Big Sur Disc and a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc. Can the experts give me their thoughts on these bikes? I, as usual, greatly appreciate the assistance.

Bike linkage:
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/ful...ke=BigSur_Disc
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...zwzg6j6.j27009
    '05 Giant Trance 2
    '06 Giant OCR1

The writer is the engineer of the human soul. -Joseph Stalin

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by abegetchell
    narrowed the choices down to a 2005 Gary Fisher Big Sur Disc and a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc.
    Having come from several years on a GF HKEK, and recently switched to a Stumpy (FSR Pro 120; both bikes were size "medium"), I'd encourage you to carefully look at the fit.

Fisher's Genesis Geom. is kinda different. I really liked it on the test rides - felt stretched out and aggressive - but after time on the trail, my HKEK started to feel a little too long for my nearly 5'10'' body. I experimented with several stem lengths but never got it quite right. I still like Genesis geom., generally speaking - it gave great traction up hills, for example - but I think Specialized bikes are more neutral / classic position (maybe a little less stretched out, depending on your porportions). For me the Spesh feels better around corners.

In summ: for me, w/out regard to compenents (I haven't looked), I'd choose the Spesh. based on the balanced feel & geometry. But if your body is long and lanky, the GF might be perfect...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Both are excellent rides.....

Quote Originally Posted by abegetchell
    This is a follow-up to my previous thread here: Upgrading to a better HT!. I decided to go ahead and spend more than I had planned on spending to get a good hardtail. I've narrowed the choices down to a 2005 Gary Fisher Big Sur Disc and a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc. Can the experts give me their thoughts on these bikes? I, as usual, greatly appreciate the assistance.

Bike linkage:
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/ful...ke=BigSur_Disc
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...zwzg6j6.j27009
    But like Barkdog said, go for the one that fits! Test ride both and get the feel for each. Having riden both Fisher and Specialized hard tails I can tell you that they feel quite different when compared. I personally prefer the feel/ride of the Fisher myself. But you may well like the Spec better. Like I said both are excellent bikes. The final determining factor will be you and your preferences.

Bike choice is a very personal thing. Fit is even subjective to a certain extent. The bottom line is all the "experts" on this board can make recommendations until the sun grows cold, but the final choice is still yours. Just remember, you have to live and ride your decission so take your time and figure out which one YOU like best.

Good Dirt

richeyr
    May 2004
    both of the above guys are saying exactly what I was going to. I have ridden both bikes and know that they both have very different feels (geometry) to them. Both bikes are great. I would say it is just going to come down to a test ride and buy the bike that feels right to you. Really I can't see where you can go wrong with either bike.
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

My Member Rides a MTB
    Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate it. I am going to have to find a shop(s) that stocks both bikes now. The one shop in my area that carries Gary Fisher/Specialized doesn't carry either bike in stock because they just don't move enough of them. Thanks again!
    '05 Giant Trance 2
    '06 Giant OCR1

The writer is the engineer of the human soul. -Joseph Stalin