MTBR Demi-God

Straight 1 1/8 Fork on a Tapered Frame?

Hello all!

I currently have a cheap, hard tail Trek frame with a 1 1/8 head tube. I want to buy a full suspension frame and transfer all my components from my current frame.

My fork (Reba RLT 26") is a straight 1 1/8 fork. However, most of the new frames that I see on the market have a tapered head tube.

Based on my search, it seems that it may be possible to use my current fork on a tapered head tube- but I couldn't find any specifics.

Can you guys please help me understand how I can fit my straight 1 1/8 fork on a tapered frame, if it is even possible to begin with?

Thanks!
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

turtles make me hot
    All you need to do is get a crown race that adapts the bottom (1 1/8) to 1 1/2 to match the bigger bottom half of the headset.
    It's simple.
    I like turtles

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It should just be as simple as this: FSA Integrated Crown Race Reducer > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop I haven't used one myself but it looks pretty straight forward, it would definitely be worth looking into. It may only work with a specific headset.

Ow!
    I use the cane creek finder whenever I start looking for headsets--very useful. While just for CC, you can figure what versions of other brands to use also. Just match the inner diameters for the top and bottom cups.

I have 1 1/8 forks on a couple of tapered 44/49 bikes, using the two types of Cane Creek HSs--ZS44:EC49/40 with a adapter crown race, and a ZS44:ZS49/30 with a 1 1/8 crown race. Both work fine. Going with an EC bottom would allow you to use a tapered fork in the future (just use a different race), but I purposely installed a ZS bottom on a bike just to have front a little lower as compared to using an EC.
    Last edited by clydecrash; 07-08-2013 at 05:27 PM.

MTBR Demi-God
    Thanks for the help guys! Glad to know that I am not limited in the frame selection based on my fork.

Now I need to start researching on a good frame.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."