mtbr member

steering tube length?

Is it rational to think one has to cut down the steering tube to accomodate proper fit? seems a lot of riders cut their steering tube too short then try to raise the bars back up with riser handle bars and/or stems personally I cut my steering tube to fit me and run a wide flat bar.This is in regards to a crosscountry setup with climbing performance being a priority

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't think anything's wrong with your methods. I ran a flat bar for a few seasons and only put a riser on it last year. Then the front was too high and I had to pull out a spacer. Riser bars are more in fashion though.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    yea, seems like the only reason to run a riser is to be able to get back further on the bike, further than with flat bars and shorter stem, for more agressive downhill prowess? they have some really nice wide flat bars I am going to try like the Easton EA50.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Don't get mad, but I think your question is silly. Because SOME people cut theirs incorrectly, that's a problem for you?

Yes, you should cut the steerer tube to fit your bike, otherwise you could end up with 3-4 inches of spacer-enclosed metal sticking up at your throat above the stem. A lot of forks come new with 11 inches of steerer tube, too much for many frames.

Different people want different things from their bikes; they ride differently. Since it's their money, they can do pretty much WTF they please with their stuff. It's just a matter sometimes of bad math, not measuring properly, or forgetting a step.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm using a fork on a bike now that came from another bike that had an integrated headset. The steer tube was the perfect length on the last bike, on this bike I have just enough for proper clamping of my stem. I have no choice than to use the handlebar to give me the height I want.

And on the other hand I personally think bikes look better with slammed stems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    Don't get mad, but I think your question is silly. Because SOME people cut theirs incorrectly, that's a problem for you?

Yes, you should cut the steerer tube to fit your bike, otherwise you could end up with 3-4 inches of spacer-enclosed metal sticking up at your throat above the stem. A lot of forks come new with 11 inches of steerer tube, too much for many frames.

Different people want different things from their bikes; they ride differently. Since it's their money, they can do pretty much WTF they please with their stuff. It's just a matter sometimes of bad math, not measuring properly, or forgetting a step.
    Uh....did you notice that I mentioned I know how to properly fit my bike including correct steering tube lenght? so the issue is guys cut the steering tube down to far THEN find out they have to much pressure on their hands....pain so what do they do? they make up for the mistake by adding height to the bars with riser bars or shorter steeper stems.I was looking for confirmation that I am rationale in my mechanical skills? apparentlly so considering your input. If you read my post..carefully I am stating whether to cut down my steering tube the righ way,sometimes that means a range of fractions of an inch.Your post is somewhat obnoxious but thanks anyway for your input,seems we both are qualified at bike fitting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I'm using a fork on a bike now that came from another bike that had an integrated headset. The steer tube was the perfect length on the last bike, on this bike I have just enough for proper clamping of my stem. I have no choice than to use the handlebar to give me the height I want.

And on the other hand I personally think bikes look better with slammed stems.
    no mistake on your part,bet you got a good deal on it,they do look good..slammed, like on my cross country hardtail climbing machine.It is set up with a flat bar and one very thin spacer below the stem.I was not slamming the type of mod you did,,just new installations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah, that right, i think so, Since it's their money, they can do pretty much WTF they please with their stuff..thanks for your sharing.