A REAL RIDER

Steering Damper?

The bike I bought, and most Mountain bikes in general turn very quickly. Almost too quickly. Also, they deflect off larger imperfection in the trail quite quickly and violently. Does anyone here run a steering damper on their MTB? Seems like it could add a lot of stability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Never heard of one for a MTB. Do you have any pics or links of one? I am curious. I run them on my dirt bikes but I don't see the need for them in MTB. I get more fork and wheel flex than bar deflection but maybe that's just me.

Weird huh?
    Steering dampers/dampners made a brief on MTB's in the mid 90's. Haven't really seen much more of them.
    Wider bars that became common in the early 2000's probably lessened the need for them even more.

You may want to check in on the retro/vintage forum. Those guys are all knowing about stuff like this.

Cheers!
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    Never heard of one for a MTB. Do you have any pics or links of one? I am curious. I run them on my dirt bikes but I don't see the need for them in MTB. I get more fork and wheel flex than bar deflection but maybe that's just me.
    Yes, it's by the Hopey . It's a weird feeling riding on that thing. I like it, works as advertised but I have too many bikes to convert all.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, a friend of mine had a Hopey I think it was called... kinda cool.. not really needed... I could see downhillers using it.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    ive used a Hopey steerer damper on my DH bike, works great! you can adjust the amount of damping by turning the external knob (more - less, no damping)

mines for sale, fits a 1,1/8th steerer tube...message me if your interested

Picture Unrelated
    Put wider bars on your bike. Steering damper would be a distant second or third choice if I were trying to change the steering response on my bike, wider bars are a very easy fix to your problem.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?