mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Steel frame build - aluminium bits

Building up a steel frame (years since I've built a steel bike up), Al seatpost stem, BB cups etc - what's the best type anti seize out there to use on assembly - I would assume some sort of zinc based stuff would be ideal; any particular brand or composition that people can recommend above others - there seem to be hundreds of different varieties for very specific applications after a quick google search.
    I've seen a couple of frames where Al seat posts have seized in there and could do without that kind of drama down the line; virtually impossible to get out
    Last edited by SimpleJon; 11-28-2012 at 01:29 AM.

mtbr member
    On all of my builds, I like to use Permatex Anti Seize on bolts and nuts and Park green grease for other things like seat posts.

Enjoy your build and crongrats on a new ride!

mtbr member
    I haven't had too much problem with polishing the aluminum bits then waxing heavy with automotive paste wax. A little neater on the hands and clothing for the seatpost.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've used automotive anti seize, loctite, and plain old grease. The biggest issue with stuff seizing is water, so make sure your seat tube and bb shell is well drained of water after a wash.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    X2 on the frame drains. I had to add the BB shell drain on both of my mtbs for some reason and when I did there was water present! 1/8" hole drilled and painted to seal the edges from rust. No problems since.